Diagnosis
12/2012
Country
US
State
PA
City
Pittsburgh
Does anyone have experience with the scopalamine patch to help dry up secretions? My mom's nurse is suggesting one because of her phlegm. I have heard that it may cause excess saliva - which would certainly be an issue because of her swallowing being bad. She is bulbar-onset. Thanks Trina

As an erstwhile sailor I know that one of the side effects is dry mouth. So might work.

>Does anyone have experience with the scopalamine patch to help dry up secretions?

never tried it, but heard from two docs it is worth trying.

Hayden tried them, didn't help but it may have been too late by then

Mom's pulmo said that it was used by the Nazi's as a truth serum and really does not help that much. The nursing home docs used it, but ended up using Robinul.

Trina, we are waiting for a suction machine to arrive, as this was recommended on the forum to dry up the phlegm. Works like the dentist's suction, so painless and easy. Another option.

Thanks to all who responded. I may give the patch a try and see if it offers some relief. Cheerleader - we have a suction machine - but my mom still has a strong gag reflex so she really can't stick it down her throat to clear the phlegm, she can just work it inside her mouth, which doesn't do much good. Hope maybe it works better for you.

Trina

Trina, the neurologist has my husband on atropine drops under the tongue for this as well. I looked it up and the patch and atropine come from the same plant source.

Ok - I appreciate the info.

am trying the patch now-will let you know

I will be interested to hear what you think.

Thanks, Trina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back