Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Tx
City
cypress
My dad, newly diagnosed is having more and more trouble walking. Walking with 2 cains but having close calls with falling. Jut started having trouble with right leg today, previously, it was left leg... he has purchased a used jazzy scooter I just found out, but right now no way to transport it.

He does have a mini van, so I am wondering if a rack on back is what he should do or given the situation.. just go ahead and get accessible van or convert his?

Wow, I am still in shock as to this diagnosis and I can't believe I am already worrying about this.

Thanks in advance for your help. KIM

The rack is a ok as a temporary solution but as time passes and he needs a wheelchair it will become more difficult to use. Also keep in mind that the racks require a 500 lb. tongue weight so his hitch receiver size is important. I am currently using a rack but working on getting finances arranged for wheelchair van. The racks are fairly inexpensive, less than $200 but may need some modification in the form of 1x8 added so wheels don't fall between cross pieces.

Dalvin, Thanks for your response. I almost feel like he should just go ahead and get the van... but I hate to say that to him as he is just adjusting to the diagnosis and I its all happening so fast and I dont want to hurt he feelings even more by suggesting it... thanks so much.. kim

One other thing to consider, with a rack his scooter or eventually wheelchair will be exposed to the weather so when traveling he would need to keep it covered in the advent of inclement weather. Also if he should stop somewhere for just a minute and not want to unload it, it is not secured against theft and someone who is in good physical condition could have it off of there and be gone in just a minute or two

I think an accessible van probably would be the best, as I think Dalvin has made some really legitimate points. My husband lost the ability to use a scooter very quickly, and I like having everything inside where it is warm, clean and dry.

I would go with the van with modifications that will work for a power chair down the line. A rack is a very short term solution if he is already having problems walking. He can continue to walk around the minivan as long as his legs hold out and that will give him some feeling of control as well as allow him to transport his new Jazzy without the problems of dirt, possible theft, and adjusting to the extra van length to avoid damage. I think that having the Jazzy inside will also help him adjust to the inevitable switch to driving the Jazzy or a power chair into the van rather than unloading it.

You might show him these posts so he can understand that he is not alone. Just a thought but I know reading these posts have helped to to accept the changes

when walking became difficult I was loaned a scooter but in no time it was impossible to operate as ALS started in my arms. Go for the van, but be careful, some conversions have low entry door, check it out while in a chair, seek advice from experienced PALS. Please to continue to ask questions, we may be able to help you ease into this transition.

Thank you all so much.. I was leaning towards van.. for all the reasons you guys brought up.. just seems so much better and safer. this disease just moves too dang fast. I am so scared for him. I will discuss this with him this weekend... if not sooner.

wow, no on to the web to search for vans... looks like another late night. Thanks again, kim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back