Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
PO
City
Krakow
Hello. I just want say thank you for this forum. Also to the people with this terrible disease lots of prayers for those afflicted. Here are my symptoms. I am 35 years old now. About 15 years ago i developed schizophrenia. Just before my diagnosis i felt like my entire spine was burning up and down with electric shocks. I was hospitalized in a mental hospital for the first time and as soon as i started antipsychotics muscle twiching began. For 15 years i have been on many medications and hospitalized many times but the spasms have always been there. Also when i try to flex my muscles i can hear like cracking noises. Also I get cramps in my muscles more and more often. The twiching has increased in every muscle even bewteen my fingers toes. When lying down i feel as if my lean muscle strands are disapearing and i feel unstable as I walk. Its progressing in the last 3 months. Also my muscles have atrophied alot but no muscle failiure. My whole body is getting weaker. My spinal region and my muscles do not not seem normal. I know this does not sound like Als but could someone give me some ideas what could the problem be. I also read that schizophrenia and als are linked geneticly. I would like to rule out Als and not think about it because I have alot to deal with as it is. God bless and love you so much for answering my question

You need to see a doctor but I certainly wouldn’t jump to ALS

re schizophrenia and ALS it is true that PALS have a higher than expected rate of relatives with schizophrenia. It is also true that there is a link between schizophrenia and C9orf72 which is a FALS mutation. However I have never seen any suggestion that they are likely to be comorbid in the same person. While I am sure that somewhere there are PALS with schizophrenia as there are PALS with diabetes, heart disease, asthma etc etc it does not seem to occur at any unusual rate. If you do not have a family history of ALS there is no reason to think that your schizophrenia is caused by C9 as most schizophrenia is not

It is very possible that the meds you are taking for schizophrenia play a role. But anything that has been going on for 15 years with you still walking and talking isn't ALS.

I would consult with a psychopharmacologist about what drugs you've tried/haven't, titrating doses, mixing and matching to see if you can find a regimen that feels better for your body, assuming systemic illness has been ruled out by your doctor.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you so much for your answers I was thinking along similar lines. I will still see a doctor because I have not gone in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back