Charlotte31

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
SE
Hello

I am 32 years old female and have experienced very scary symptoms for the past 6 months. (Yes I have read the “read before post” post).

It all started after giving birth to my son. After about 5 month I started feeling week. The when he was 7 months I started shaking in my entire body, like a tremor (still going on nonstop). Even my tongue is vibrating.

I have muscle twitches all over the body but also a hotspot on my right shoulder.
I feel like I am getting weaker and weaker all the time.
Every time I use my muscles the end up sore and in pain, and not stronger. The muscles also get tired fast when I use them.
My legs shake when I walk in the stairs och lift up my baby for example. Every time I use them.
My bones are cracking every times a move.
Nothing is getting better.

Since I live in Sweden there are no private neurologist to see and my primary caregiver says that they cannot detect any clinical weakness and therefor there is no point on seeing a neurologist.

I’ve read here that some people diagnosed with ALS have symptoms years before actually getting the real symptoms. My whole life I´ve had sore muscles and pain and ached in the body.

I am terrified that it might be ALS.
Thank you so much for input <3

Oh and I sometimes have night sweats, specially when this all began. And a sharp pain in left hip, which according to a Swedish website can happen weeks or months prior to clinical weakness.

I'm so sorry you are experiencing this, especially when you should be enjoying your beautiful baby.
Your doctor seems to be spot on - nothing you are experiencing points to ALS.
Maybe you can consider some relaxation and strength building strategies like yoga, pilates or tai chi, with a good look at diet, sleep and general stress.
Being a new mum is a big life change and you can forget to truly look after yourself.
All the best in returning to full health.

Thank you for your reply!

Today I saw a PT to test my strength and she said I was weaker then a 31 year old female should be. That really scared me. I used to be very strong.
My doctor has also now ordered an EMG. Good but also terrifying.

I really do feel weaker and weaker for every week. And the muscle twich and pain in the right shoulder which also feels weaker...

Can an EMG be done too early?

Go back to the 'read before posting' post to reassure yourself.
PALS don't feel weak, they are totally surprised they can't do things as they feel normal.

The EMG can't be done too early, if you have ALS it will show in areas of your body that you haven't even noticed symptoms yet.

Don't be terrified of an EMG they are a commonly used tool for diagnosing hundreds of conditions from the simple to the complex.

Lastly, the PT seems to have made a very general statement about weakness, not one I would expect if you had ALS.

Let us know after the EMG and try to stop googling in the meantime and keep living, you have a baby to enjoy and you will never get this time back with him.

Thank you again!

I will let you know how the EMG went and enjoy every moment with my son.

Hello again,

I just got a message that they will do an neurography first (ENG?). I have not been able to reach my doctor and ask why, but can an neugraphy detect ALS, or indicate something?

The ENG is used to look for other things, so that's great news!

Okej, I think they will start with eng and then do an emg :)

Hello again,
They did the nerve study and everything looked fine except for the ulnar nerve on the right arm. It was slower than the rest. Have not yet got an Emg appointment.
Also my right pinky is very much weaker then the other. I am not able to move my pinky and ringfinger apart if I put pressure on them, while the left side works normally. I am again very worried.

maybe it is connect to the NCS issue they found.
you can't test yourself for clinical weakness, so let the doctors do their job. all the best

Ulnar neuropathy is very common and can affect pinky function, since the ulnar nerve is on the pinky side. Again, there is no reason to suspect ALS. It does not start as you describe.

Pregnancy can bring on B vitamin and/or iron deficiencies, that can affect your feelings of weakness, so you could try a good multivitamin with iron (not megadoses) to see if that helps, meanwhile, in consultation with your doctor. Sleep, while difficult with a new baby (congratulations!), is also important.

Best,
Laurie

I went to see my regular doctor today. She noticed the my pinky is weak and that I have atrophy on the side of the hand. Slight atrophy and 15% less strenght in pinky.
She did a neurological exam again, and everything looked fine except for brisk reflexes in the knees. On both sides.

When she examined the ulnar nerve, she could'nt find anything that pointed towards the nerve being pinched. When she called the person who conducted the nerve studie she said the ulnar nerve was just slightly abnormal. But we need the emg to get the whole picture. The Emg is in tree weeks.

All this scared me to death. I now have twitching, clinical weakness and atrophy.

Please stop and take a breath.
The EMG is a tool, it is used to diagnose hundreds and hundreds of problems.
You need to ask your doctor for help with your anxiety as it is causing you far more issues than one finger.

They are helping me with the anxiety, and I know that there is not much to do know then to wait for the emg.

But the finger, brisk reflexes and so on does sound bad or could it be pinched nerve still? Even with with the atrophy and brisk reflexes? My doctor doesn't know.

Charlotte and others struggling with anxiety and those who are
in denial.

Many people with Health Anxiety are often unable to function or
enjoy life due to their fears and preoccupations. They become
preoccupied with bodily functions, breathing, heartbeat, minor
physical abnormalities, dents, fasciculation, physical sensations,
pain, perceived weakness, sleep disorders and continuing new
symptoms.

Then to amplify, escalate, add more to it… Dr. Google.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back