Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
AR
Hello everyone, first and foremost I would like to extend my heartfelt sympathies to all who have been affected by this disease. The guidance you provide to folks on this forum is just phenomenal. I salute you all.

Please read through my situation:

I am 27 years old, male. For the past three weeks or so, I am getting twitches all over my body - biceps, calves, thighs, bum, abdomen. It all started within a night or two. I did the insane thing of googling about them and the result - my anxiety level went up the roof and is keeping me up at nights.

I have then read the stickies and other posts, and it calmed me down for a while. But, I am seeing a 'slight perceived weakness' on my kneecaps. It wobbles while I walk. Also, earlier today when I woke up from my nap there was a twitch on my left forearm that just didn't stop for a few minutes despite flexing or stretching my arm. I started panicking. I am also getting this frequent urge to pop and crack my joints - arms and legs. Furthermore, my hands are getting a little shaky. There is a constant stiffness in my neck and I'm still getting the twitches jumping around on my body. I saw my doctor last week and the blood work came back good.

I have been getting myoclonus jerks at nights. I am absolutely terrified by all these.

1. Should I be concerned by these symptoms?
2. I have lost 2-3 pounds in the past few weeks. Is this a sign of atrophy?
3. Does a benign twitch stop when the muscle is moved?

Thanks for your patience.

1) Not relative to ALS. You might want to be screened for Restless Leg Syndrome and other sleep disorders.
2) No. But anxiety depresses often reduces or increases appetite.
3) Frequently. And often worsen when you keep gazing at/touching/thinking about the muscle(s) affected.

My advice is to stretch morning and night, do some walking and see (1) to discuss with your PCP.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks for your answers. I just have a few more questions. Please bear with me.

1. If twitching precedes weakness, how soon will the onset happen?
2. I am having trouble taking deep breaths sometimes. Can this be a sign of bulbar onset?
3. Are abdomen twitches unusual?
4. I feel like my left thigh has lesser muscle than my right. Can atrophy precede weakness?

Thanks

1. Twitching generally does not precede weakness. In the rare cases where twitching is the first sign of ALS, the person will have abnormalities on their neurological exam, usually weakness they weren’t aware of, or hyper reflexes.
2. Trouble taking deep breaths is often due to anxiety. Occasionally there can be another explanation such as allergies, asthma, infection, or an underlying cardiac or respiratory problem. ALS usually doesn’t present this way, and no it’s not a sign of bulbar onset.
3. Twitches can occur anywhere including the abdomen. Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless in the absence of muscle function failure which you have not described. Up to 70% of perfectly healthy people twitch. My advice is to pay no attention to it.
4. Only a physician can assess atrophy. Most people have some degree of asymmetry. Usually atrophy follows weakness or results from asymmetry and other musculoskeletal mechanical issues.

You haven’t described ALS one bit. I suggest you reread the sticky, take Laurie’s advice, and see your general physician if you have additional concerns. We’ve answered a number of questions for you already. Please realize that we aren’t equipped to continue answering ongoing questions, especially when ALS isn’t apparent.

Thanks a ton for your time and your answers. I apologize for asking one too many questions. My anxiety got the better of me. Sorry.

I tried my best to refrain from posting again. But, unfortunately here I am.

I went to my doctor last week, he checked my reflexes and strength. Both were normal. He brought up RLS, but since I told him that I have stopped getting the hypnic jerks and legs are fine during sleep except for the twitches he didn't suggest a sleep study. I expressed my concerns that it could be something more serious but he suggested that anxiety could be causing these symptoms.

My twitching continues, more pronounced at rest and I still have the constant urge to pop and crack my joints.

For the past few days whenever I stay in a half squat position for a few seconds my thigh muscles vibrate sending ripples, and fatigues easily. I understand fatigue is not clinical weakness but would atrophy cause fatigue and makes you feel weak subsequently giving the urge to pop and crack the joints?

And, I am getting occasional eye twitches. I brushed it off thinking that stress could be causing it until I came across a post in the forum where weakness in PALS was preceded by eye twitch and then widespread twitching.

Is it true that bulbar usually presents with widespread twitching?

I injured my foot 10 days back and it was swollen pretty bad. X-ray ruled out a fracture. Though the foot is better right now, the foot muscles still hurt when I bend my toes upward. I am scared that this delay in muscle healing could be a bad sign.

My worries are stressing me out. Please provide your guidance.

Hi there-

While this forum is useful to get answers to a few basic questions, it is not set up to support those who are dealing with a ferocious case of health anxiety. The primary focus of the forum is to support those who have been diagnosed with ALS or who are caring for a loved one with ALS.

It would seem that you were not reassured by a visit to a doctor- would strangers on the internet be more reassuring to you? The answers you have received already here have obviously not helped reduce your anxiety. You still don't report a pattern of symptoms that indicate serious cause for concern, as others have stated when you posted before- so it's not clear what it is that people here can do for you. I do recommend you continue working with your doctor, but this forum would not be of much use to you at this point.

No/no/not true.

By the by, you don't need a sleep study to be screened for RLS.

As others have said, there is no point in your being here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back