Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
FR
State
PR
City
Paris
Hello, i'm 23 years old guy, 4 years ago I started twitching everywhere, torso,biceps, calf , I developed a symptom that really look like writer cramp : When i'm writing with my keyboard, my hand can sometimes jerk in odd position, they litteraly jump from the keyboard sometimes
Its aggravated by lack of sleep and anxiety, I have some month where I have not this symptom at all, it doesnt always occur, for example im writing this text totally fine, it occur maybe 5 or 6 times per day and only when im writing ! , it doesnt occur when im playing video game, or brush my teeth

I have some other symptom : Shaking when doing some action ( squat for example, push up... ) , i have this symptom for 5 years i think
I've tested myself for Hoffman sign and its positive on both side, I told to my aunt to help me elicite it like neurologist video and it was definitly positive on both side
I have internal vibration

Sometimes I have perceived weakness on my right arm that come and go, but my doctor told me my strenght is totally fine , also he told me to tap with my index finger as much as possible on his smartphone , in order to count the number of tap within 10 second , I scored 70-75 on both hand

I also tested myself the babinski sign, I used all the possible variant and did it perfectly like the video : my toes never moved , i think its a neutral response ?

Does it sound ALS ? especially the hoffman sign ... and the jerking...

You can’t accurately test yourself for a Hoffman’s or Babinski sign.
Your doctor told you your strength is fine.
No, this doesn’t sound anything different ALS.

Ok thank you but I think I did the test accurately , also i doesnt understand, it sound als ?

It’s impossible to do the test accurately on yourself.
No it does not sound like ALS.

I just want to do an update : I finally saw a neurologist and I indeed have hoffman sign on both side, i have brisk reflex on knee , babinski absent ( neutral)
No weakness at all
I talked to him about ALS and he told me its very rare and he never think about it during the examination ...
Im still very anxious because of hoffman sign
Im spent my days researching about hoffman sign or the guy himself

Some normal healthy people have brisk reflexes and positive Hoffman and never develop any worrisome issues. It’s up to you if you choose to be anxious about your symptoms but we see no reason to be and neither does your neurologist.

K. as you have written....

"I've spent my days researching about hoffman sign or the guy himself."

Thousands of Americans have falsely convinced themselves they have a
serious disease, after turning to 'Dr Google' – according to new research.

Instead of alleviating concerns, 74 percent of those who have self-diagnosed
online searching for their symptoms made them worry MORE about their health.

That is due to the answers given by Dr Google, of internet medical advice,
was found by researchers to be misleading without proper evaluation by a
a qualified physician.

Sixty-five percent of respondents who used the internet to self-diagnose
themselves the results show typing your symptoms into the search bar might
do more harm than good

First of ALL, thank you Karen and Clearwater for your post , thank you for taking your time to help people like me
it can be difficult for you to write but even with that,you take your time to help people , i really appreciated it ! thank you again for your reassuring words

I came back just for an update : I saw another neurologist :

- Hoffman sign positive on both side again
- No weakness in any muscle / no atrophy
- Good gait
- Brisk reflex
- no myoclonus
- some postural tremor
- No twitching have been seen this day, my twitching are really random, usually I have one or 2 twitching in random muscle; that last no more than 10 second

The neurologist offer me to do an EMG and an MRI of my spine (because of hoffman sign to rule out compression), I refused both, it may sound irresponsible but I have a huge anxiety , very very huge
Any abnormality on an emg will likely ruin my life

For now I will just live my life, and I if I get worse ill do an emg and an mri

Thank you again for your help

I just upgraded my account for 1 month tu support this forum and to thank you for your generosity

Have a good day

that's such great news!
If you have further concerns you need to go back to your doctor as refusing testing means we won't be able to say anything of help to you either, as we can't examine you and have no test results to review.

I truly hope you can put this behind you now and get on with a long and healthy life. All the very best.

Dear,
You DO NOT have ALS . Nothing you mentioned is ALS like .

Hoffman sign is most significant if it's unilateral, I think the MRI C-spine is a good idea.

Ignore Hoffman sign as it means nothing if isolated and bilateral.
Please Live and enjoy your life and stop worrying.

Aziz,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back