Reason
Loved one DX
Country
SA
State
Gauteng
City
Johannesburg
Hi all, my husbands mother passed away 26 years ago from MND she was 31and now my husbands brother has got ALS he is 32. Im scared that my husband age 30 might get it aswell. Apparently there are no tests for the diasease?
Im also nervous that our children one day might also develop the diasease?

Please could someone give me answers?

An option might be to have the brother that has ALS have the SOD-1 (genetic blood work testing) done to see if the type of ALS he has is familial and make decisions from there if your husband needs to be tested as well. I am presently going through this process and once we have the results we will make the decision as to have my daughter tested and my sister will decide to get tested and her children.

There was another case of ALS on the maternal side of my family (2nd cousin to me) so we feel it is worth investigating. In the area I live in other families members have to go through counselling before testing is done - I do not as I am the person affected. My daughter is not in a relationship or planning to get married soon so she may wait awhile to decide whether or not to have this testing. It will also depend on my test outcome.
Good luck with whatever path you choose.

thank you

Hi thank you so much for your reply! Gonna see a Geneticist . I think that would be the best option.

Good luck to you to and all the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back