Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NY
City
Brooklyn
(mod note: closed for multi-id, please get help for anxiety)

Hi,

I am a 23 y/o white male. During the last month or two I have been noticing a tightness feeling in the bottom of my throat. Recently I have been having to clear my throat often due to phlegm being present at the apex of my throat. My left side of my neck seems to not move when I swallow compared to my right side. Sometimes it feels like I need to put a large effort into swallowing and also sometimes when I attempt to swallow it just doesn’t occur and have to try hard to do it a second time. This has not led to choking on food or any problems with tongue/ speech. Aside from these symptoms of persistent phlegm and dysphasia, I have no other. I am relatively active, gym all week and Brazilian jiu Jitsu. This is a super stressful time in my life as i am applying to become a physician. I know Google isn’t the best source but when i did google my symptoms and grew concerned about bulbar ALS. Clinically I have been diagnosed with large tonsils that should’ve been removed as an adolescent however my parents elected to not have the surgery. I am driving myself crazy wmd those around me with these symptoms and any help/advice that anyone can offer would be deeply appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello there-

Please read here first: Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms

Make sure to go through it carefully to understand why what you list above does not fit the pattern of ALS. While it's not really clear what is going on with regards to your symptoms, it sounds like you also need some anxiety support while you work with your doctor to find some answers. NoMorePanic is a good online forum and MuscleTwitch on reddit is great too- you'll find excellent peer support with folk who experience such things as globus and assume the worst.

Please take care

If you have large tonsils, they can be susceptible to infection and/or make it harder to breathe when sleeping. It is appropriate to see an ENT once a year to monitor whether anything needs to be done.

I think you know, as noted above, that this has nothing to do with ALS -- a very good thing.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back