Scared

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please post the summary that should have come along with this. Thank you

CMAP normal
SNAP normal
Needle exam muscles: vastus mediales, peroneus lungus, tibialis anterios and gastrocnemius. No spontaneous activity. MUP with long duration and amplitude. Very low reduction of recruitment in tibiales anterios and gastrocnemius.
Chronic denervation and reinervation in examined muscles without active denevration ( maybe is compatible with an old Chronic Lombo Sacred Radical Disease L4,L5 and S1)

There was no need to look for spread by testing more muscles. That is done when the originally tested muscles show a pattern that if widespread could be ALS. This doesn’t look like ALS so more testing was not needed. Please address any more questions to the doctor

I’m so sorry for keep asking you people but I really need advice what to do next.
Symptoms:
All past year and this year back pain treateble with painkillers.
Late May - Twicing started left bicep but stop after a few seconds. Then both calf started twiching 24/7. They never stop. They seem to be more active in the morning.
June - calf fasciculation 24/7 and sporadic twiching all over the body but one second or two and then stops. Several times a day.
July - he did an emg who showed chronic denervation and reinervation in the examined muscles but no active denervation. The doctor sugested a back problem with the L4,L5,S1 nerves. The fasciculation on calves the same but more on left. Sporadic twiching with new fingers twiching(left side)who cames and goes. Like 3,4 times a day. All twiching seems to be more frequent in the rest. In the morning they seem to be more active.

Other symtoms: occasionally headaches, occasionally back pain or neck pain once or twice a week. He s taking mydocalm for it. Rush of axiety which is normal in his condition. Doctor gave him xanax.
Other medicine with no effect till now: magnesium oil, calcium, vitamin D and supliments of vitamin B6 and B12.

He also did blood test with an raise ph 7,5 and bottom low ionic calciun 1.17 mml/L. In rest all normal. He didn t do thyroid and Lyme. We didn t feel necesary after the EMG.

The neurologist was not concerd by ALS but did mentioned to repeat EMG after 6 months.
He didnt prescribed anything for the twiching.
The GP gave him xanax and some vitamins.

I don t get it if the twiching are from his back problem why he is experiencing them all over his body? If there really is a back problem why he didn t sugest more test like a back MRI?
I think they are keeping us in the unknown and in the meanwhile all his symptoms and emg suggest ALS... I gueew in ALS you don’t know untill uou know..

I forgot to tell you that the emg didn t caught any fasciculation on his calve..maybe the needle was not inserted in the right muscle or maybe he didn t had one which I don t think so because he has a lot of them.

Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless in the absence of muscle function failure which you have not described. Lots of people twitch. Up to 70% of healthy people have had or will have some sort of twitching. Your boyfriend’s twitching may be related to his back issues or not, but the overall picture doesn’t suggest ALS. In fact, widespread twitching actually points away from ALS.

It’s not always possible to treat twitching. Sometimes twitching improves with avoiding caffeine, stretching, massage, taking Magnesium Oxide supplement, and trying to manage stress.

Many doctors don’t recommend a back MRI unless there are localized findings on neurological exam such as abnormal reflexes or weakness that might suggest pinched nerve roots. This would be a good thing to discuss with his doctor.

EMG can show abnormalities for many reasons other than ALS. What your doctor ( and we) are saying is that the abnormalities on his EMG don’t fit the pattern of what is seen with ALS.

I hope we will not join this club in 6 months or so.
I’m praying for all you people ho have this terrible disease and your caregivers.
Today we talked to another GP who thinks after viewing his EMG and labs it’s all due to anxiety. I don t know..the twiching seems to spread and get more intense.

Hi Claudia-

Thank you for the update and I am so glad your partner has been given the all clear for ALS by the doctor.

I am closing the thread now, as it is clear from all the feedback from doctors, tests and the people here on the forum that ALS is not a consideration- so this forum is no longer helpful to you as it is not a place to get general medical advice or emotional support for health anxiety.

If you and your partner continue to feel concern about what your partner's troubles are, the people to communicate with are the medical professionals where you live.

Best wishes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back