Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
CA
City
Palo Alto
Hi all, 28 year old female here. I'm terrified, much like lots of others here asking you polite, patient forum moderators for advice on my symptoms that have scared me into oblivion lately.

I noticed my arm twitching about 2/3 weeks ago, which then spread to my legs, butt, eye, chest, legs. It has since subsided but still get twitches here and there. I then noticed about a week or less after my twitching panic, that my hands (both equally on each side) had the feeling of soreness/overuse in the thenar muscles in each of my hands when I awoke one morning after massaging my boyfriends shoulders the night before. Tingling as well but that did not last long at all. It subsided throughout the day and the soreness went away. The more I use those thenar muscles, they get sore, and I have some tingling in the tip of my thumb, and it is also quite itchy at times. This has been off and on the past few days, it gets better and then more aggravated. I have read many stories online of als being misdiagnosed as carpal tunnel so I'm terrified. Both pinkies also feel numb.

Then, I have noticed both arms, equally get very tired and sore in the biceps area, (as if I've been lifting weights) very quickly. When I rest it gets better, more aggravated and kind of a burning sensation upon use. It’s best in the morning.

It has all happened within a matter of 2/2.5 weeks. Thoughts?

Again, I want to say thank you for anyone who takes the time to read this. I have been healthy my entire life and I am beyond nervous right now at these symptoms. Thank you very much for your time.

First off, please read this if you have not already done so: Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms!

Numbness is a sensory symptom. ALS is a disease of motor neurons. It does not present with numbness. I can’t imagine ALS being misdiagnosed as carpal tunnel syndrome since CTS almost always involves numbness and is easy enough to diagnose with nerve conduction tests.

Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless in the absence of muscle function failure which you have not described. An example of failure might include painless inability to fasten a button or open a ziplock bag when you could do this a few months ago. There is no burning sensation, soreness, or muscle fatigue in ALS. Things simply do not work.

I suspect your symptoms are related to overuse or perhaps a pinched nerve somewhere. Since they have only been going on 2-3 weeks, they are very likely to resolve themselves. Make sure you are keeping well hydrated. See your primary care doctor if you have ongoing concerns.

It just seems odd that it came on so suddenly in both hands, and then up to my arms, is this characteristic of als, does it normally start bilaterally?

No ALS is almost always unilateral when it starts. I have never encountered anyone with bilateral onset. Ever.

I sort of thought that, and I did read the sticky. I tried to call myself down in numerous ways before coming here. Does ALS weakness/beginnings of ALS sound like me at all? With the muscles being irritated and spasming (occasionally) after use and then feeling better after rest? I promise I will not take up too much of your guys time, I’m just very scared and would like al the reassurance I can get.

Also, I did see my PCP who ordered a ton of blood work.

Does ALS weakness/beginnings of ALS sound like me at all?
No, not at all. As Nikki stated, ALS typically begins in one area and spreads. Onset in a hand or foot is most common. Muscle cramping sometimes occurs, but otherwise no sensory symptoms or feeling weak. Usually the first symptom is discovering that something isn’t working (failure) as I discussed earlier. We find ourselves wondering why we can’t do something fairly simple like fasten a button or stand on the toes or heels when we could previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back