Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
HI
City
Kona
Hey guys, let me just give you some background before I post. I’m a hypochondriac, and for the past two months I’ve feared als. I’ve had no weakness and a clean neurological exam. My only real symptom is twitching and perceived weakness/atrophy.

Anyways, I guess I’m mostly posting to ask what the incidence rate of ALS is in veterans. My dream has been to join the Army reserves. I’m only 21, but this whole health scare episode made me extremely nervous to join the service in fear of getting the disease in the future. My dad has Parkinson’s so I don’t know if that increases my chances or not

Your dad’s PD is irrelevant.

The increased lifetime risk of a vet getting ALS is twice that of the general population which means it is still very low as ALS is not a common disease. Your risk of things like heart disease, diabetes and cancer is much much much higher than that of ALS, vet or not.

Seriously, if you've got that much health anxiety, the army probably wouldn't want you.

Work on your psychological issues.

Your perceived notions of ALS are just that...perceived. Trust the doctors and their evaluation of your physical condition. Join up is my opinion. Some time with a drill sergeant will do you good, and you won't have the time or energy to think up things that 'could' be wrong with you. They will work that hypochondria right out the door, I promise!

Good Luck, get on with your dream.

TC

I served 20. Then I worked at a Veterans hospital.

If you think that military service might expose you to toxins, diseases, and allergens, you're absolutely right. During training, you'll be inoculated for dozens of diseases. Before deploying, you'll get a shot that contains blood products from a thousand other people, to boost your immune system.

My wife died of ALS. The government accepted responsibility for her care, because so many veterans got ALS, it is "presumed" to be a "service-connected" disease. If you get ALS while serving, they will easily admit it is their fault. ALS is called a "presumptive" disease.

The government also gives free medical care to many veterans who were deliberately exposed to toxins as part of a secret program called Project 212, and also to "Atomic Veterans" who were required to walk directly through nuclear fallout areas immediately after an atomic test bomb was exploded.

The military sometimes infects servicemen without their knowledge, so they can develop weapons and cures. But they normally don't admit it unless you can prove it.

For the first year in the military, you'll live, eat, sleep head-to-toe, stand nut-to-butt, shit and shower with a hundred other guys coughing, sneezing, playing grab-ass and blowing snot for fun. You'll be sharing toilets, showers, chairs, tables, pencils, guns, helmets and gas masks with strange sweaty people every day.

On deployment, you'll live in a 6-man HumVee during the day and in a 8-man tent during the night.

There will be times that you'll be so hungry, you'll say to some stranger, "You gonna finish that?"

That's my career counseling for hypochondriacs considering joining the service.

Hey guys, I was wondering, I feel like I have atrophy in my right hand under my index fineger and the base of my thumb. I’ve also been twitching all over.

Here’s a hand by hand comparison

Attachments

• 45F07C36-B709-4B15-B9CD-EB26A8154FE7.jpg
    45F07C36-B709-4B15-B9CD-EB26A8154FE7.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 282
  • 03DD15BF-6782-48BC-AA48-021F6F1CA904.jpg
    03DD15BF-6782-48BC-AA48-021F6F1CA904.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 217
Your pictures look like entirely normal hands. Have you gone to a doctor yet? 4 extremely experienced people here have told you not to worry. If you don't believe them, you need to visit with a medical professional in order to get the advice and help you need. You started out asking about risk if you joined the military. Now you are here and posting pictures of your hands- clearly worried you already have it.

I urge you to seek proper medical care. Get a physical to make sure you don't have any concerning physical symptoms, talk to your gp about your struggles and listen to them when they provide solutions. Living with the kind of anxiety you do is very difficult and is clearly affecting the decisions you make for your future quite negatively. You are 21 and this type of anxiety will do more to wreck your future life than any disease you fear you have.

Take care. I wish you well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back