Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
ROU
State
Romania
City
Bucharest
Hello everyone! I'm a 27 year old junior cardiologist from Bucharest, Romania. First and foremost, ever since I first saw a patient dealing with ALS during Med School, I have the utmost respect for the ones fighting with this disease.
I wouldn't consider myself an anxiety sufferer or hypochondriac, due to the nature of my profession, where I must keep my calm and lucidity dealing with the number one killer in the world, cardiovascular illnesses.
But I am scared to death by neurological diseases, and some of my recent symptoms had me worried that I might have something serious. Since neurology isn't my specialty, I have confidence that I can benefit from your input and experience with ALS.
So, for 2-3 months now I've been experiencing some mildly progressive weakness in my right arm (my dominant arm) and right leg (still can tip toe and walk on heels). I keep passing objects from my left hand to my right and I find them heavier with the latter (I repeat, I have always been right-handed and had a stronger grip in it). Now I've read the stickies and I know from Med School that ALS is about failing, not feeling, but I did see some diagnosed posters around here describing similar symptoms several months before the clear diagnosis. This constant feeling for so many weeks now got me very scared, almost incapable of working and taking care of my own patients.
I should mention that I didn't lose dexterity in my right hand and I can still lift heavy objects, although i find them lighter in my left hand, as I've stated before.
I spoke to a fellow neurologist from the hospital I work in and he simply laughed and was really dismissive about it.
Do you think that this could be a precursor sign of ALS? I ask that because I've read numerous stories both on the internet and on this forum where people relate that they kind of had mild weakness before failing, thus kind of contradicting some of the things said in the stickies. Thank you a lot!

Hi sorin,

I too am a physician (rheumatologist) and understand what it’s like to work with patients who have scary diseases. It’s very easy to be hyper-focused on your own body and to try to come up with an explanation for every symptom.

The odds are overwhelmingly against your having a serious neurological disease. More likely you have some sort of overuse/ repetitive strain issue. Any symptom can be magnified by fear and worry, and now you may be noticing things you wouldn’t have in the past.

My advice would be to make sure you are getting adequate rest and hydration. Try to go for a walk daily to clear your head. If your concerns continue, then see a neurologist to test your strength. You might also benefit from physical therapy. Best of luck.

Thank you for your reply, Karen. I will follow your advice. If I keep having these weird symptoms, I guess I will send myself to an EMG. Just terrified that my hands will fail me and I won't be able to fulfill my dream to become an interventional cardiologist. All the best to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back