Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
ROU
State
Romania
City
Bucharest
I posted on this forum twice already about my symptoms. Long story short, for about one year I feel mild weakness on my dominant side (right leg and arm). I feel my right leg heavier when I step and feel objects heavier with my right arm (the dominant one). Also, my right calf and arm seem a bit smaller than their counterparts. What freaked me out was a result of CK from today of 301. I didn't work out, I only walked 5 days ago about 12 km. I don't consider myself a hypochondriac (I'm a cardiologist, I am rather rational). What do you think? My neurologist friends have all laughed at me about this. Btw, I'm 27. Thank you a lot, you're inspirational to all doctors and patients!

Last edited:
Since you’re a cardiologist, then you must know that the normal range of CPK is broad, and many perfectly healthy people walk around with a CPK of 300 and display no symptoms. It’s normal for them. You also know it can be influenced by factors such as hydration, physical activity, trauma, alcohol use, thyroid disease, medications (and supplements). That is to say that I wouldn’t bother losing sleep over a CPK of 301.

ALS is about failing, not feeling. People with ALS don’t feel weak, muscles just don’t work. When I realized I could no longer stand on my toes or heels, it caught me by surprise as I didn’t feel weak. I can barely walk now and I still don’t “feel” weak.

You’re not describing ALS. If you’re still worried, see a primary care physician for a general physical.

Thank you, Karen! Yes, I know all those things but I don't think straight right now (although I stated that I am rational, lol). Thing is I have had these symptoms for one year already and what that scares me the most is the one-sidedness and the fact that my left hand and leg are stronger right now. Maybe I will schedule myself for an EMG just to be sure.

You’re not listening.

The doctor who treats himself has a fool for a patient.

If you’re so worried, start by seeing a primary care doc. If they’re worried, they’ll send you to a neurologist. Then the neurologist can decide if an EMG is indicated. There’s a good bet a neurologist won’t find weakness on exam, and then an EMG wouldn’t be indicated.

What I learned in medical school was to always start with a history and physical. Diagnostic tests come later and are done to supplement the history and physical exam, if indicated. If you start getting tests without a good H and P, you can easily be led astray.

Take away everything that starts with feels, pain, tingling. None of these sensory symptoms indicate ALS. What's left? Nothing. The primary symptom is muscle paralysis. You can only walk 12km? I wish I could still walk one km.
Vincent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back