Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
New York
City
Staten Island
Hello everybody. I've done it ...visited Dr Google and now I think I might have ALS.

I'm a 38 year old male and went through a huge ALS Scare 2 years ago. I went to a neurologist who did 2 EMGs... one in 2012 (lower limbs) and one in 2013 (upper limbs, hands, etc). Both EMGs were clean and I felt a lot better. The Nerve Conduction test however showed I have peripheral neuropathy. My neurologist said that stress can play hell on your body.. I also had a battery of other tests (MRI, blood work,etc). All were normal

Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago. I started getting light headed and now I'm seeing another neurologist. She has ordered me new MRI, balance test, etc.

Right before my neuro appointment I started feeling like something wasn't right in my left arm. Very fatigued and tires really easy. I've gotten to the point where I keep trying to give myself strength tests in my hands and arms to see if they are still working. holding up my arms, gripping coffee cups with all fingers, etc. Not sure if that has now caused further fatigue or issues by doing that.

As I sit here any type this out something just doesn't feel right at all. My left hand is cramping, jittery and just feels very tired and weak. Every day I wake up I feel like it is getting weaker and weaker.

Is this how it starts? Does this sound like ALS to anybody? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

"As I sit here any type this out something just doesn't feel right at all. My left hand is cramping, jittery and just feels very tired and weak. Every day I wake up I feel like it is getting weaker and weaker."

ALS is about failing, not feeling. I don't hear you saying what you can't do. With ALS there is an inability to do things--stand, balance, walk, lift you arm, button a shirt, climb stairs, lift your foot.

"Is this how it starts? Does this sound like ALS to anybody?"
The most common first symptoms of ALS are clinical weakness, atrophy and hyperreflexia. Your symptoms do not sound like ALS to me.

Thank you so much for getting back to me Dusty.

I guess I have it in my mind what I'm experiencing are the muscles dying in my left hand/arm. Based on your feedback it sounds as though I'm way off.

Hi NickT76,
Please don't jump to conclusions that you have ALS. I have been having trouble with my arm throbbing and feeling weak for the last month. In my situation after x-rays in turned out that I have calcific rotator cuff tendinitis. There are just tons of things that could be wrong that are less minor then ALS going on with you. Believe me Dr. Google can really mess with a person's head. I myself have a little tendency to be a bit of a hypochodriac myself and have looked to Dr. Google before. I only caused me more stress. Best of luck to you. Kim

>The most common first symptoms of ALS are clinical weakness, atrophy and hyperreflexia. Your symptoms do not sound like ALS to me.

and slurred speech ... don't just see a neuro, see a MND/ALS trained neuro! Or clinic.

Thanks Max.

When you mention Hyper reflexia what do you mean? The reason I ask is things seem to have really turned worse for me and not sure if that's what it is.

Last night when going to bed I started getting Charlie horses in my left calf muscle. I'm thinking spasms. This morning my left hand was achy and cramping really bad. Most of the morning I've been getting this terrible tingling tickling dead fatiguing feeling in this damn left arm.

I can pick up a water bottle and drink, type, etc but its almost like I can't lift this arm. Is this a symptom of hyper eflexia or atrophy? I'm also thinking these muscles in my left arm / hands are on their last leg of activity and within the next few days they aren't going to work for me. I guess I really just don't understand much about this.

I apologize deeply if I'm offending anyone here. Maybe I need to stop bothering all of you with this.

Thanks for any insight

>Maybe I need to stop bothering all of you with this.

I think you are right. go see a medical professional, not Dr. Google or Dr. ALSForums :)

Your previous tests showed you have peripheral neuropathy. Couldn't that account for your symptoms?

Hyperreflexia means your reflexes are exaggerated. You can test your knee reflexes yourself. If your legs flails out quickly and high when testing your knees, you may have brisk or hyperreflexes in the knees.

I'm stuck on the brisk reflexes stuff. 20 years ago or so I had a complete neuro medical workup at a teaching hospital for a vision disturbance. The residents all gathered around as when testing my reflexes with the little hammer, they couldn't get anything to move or respond. During my diagnosis testing it was, obviously, the same thing. No Babinsky sign either...nada.

I'm thinking how many folks there are who visit a PCP who says " well you seem to have some atrophy and some weakness but your reflexes aren't brisk so you are probably OK ... check back in a year".

You can test your knee reflexes yourself. If your legs flails out quickly and high when testing your knees, you may have brisk or hyperreflexes in the knees.

I so wish people would NOT attempt to test their own reflexes and clinical weakness. Go see a doc tor, say it again, go see a doc tor. Honestly.

>Go see a doc tor, say it again, go see a doc tor. Honestly.

Ditto that!

Tillie, I agree you can't test yourself for hyperreflexia, Babinski, etc. and it's nonsense to tell people they can. I can make my Babinski anything I want it to be. Pretty much the same for reflexes. UMN signs must be determined by a doctor or a doctor or a doctor.

Tillie, I agree you can't test yourself for hyperreflexia, Babinski, etc. and it's nonsense to tell people they can. I can make my Babinski anything I want it to be. Pretty much the same for reflexes. UMN signs must be determined by a doctor or a doctor or a doctor.

Agreed. Really tired of seeing this false info being put on here

I agree with all of you about reflexes. One of my neuros went so far as to say babinski is invalid even when performed by a physician if the patient knows what it is ( but he still checked it) and he felt even watching the exam would influence it. I had to stare at the ceiling the whole time. Closing this thread as it has veered far off original course

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back