Reason
Other
Country
US
State
ny
City
Binghamton
For two weeks i have been experiencing intermittent speach problems. At times i have a hard time beginning speech, I feel like the muscles in the throat contract and the words are hard to pronounce. After a few words it goes away and I speak normally. I have also experienced weekness in my arms on two occasions, not being able to pick things up. It lasted just for a few minutes. i am not sure what to do and I am very concerned. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I'd suggest you see a doctor if it continues. They will probably send you to a Neurologist if they find anything. It could be lots of things. Don't start writing out your will yet.
AL.

For two weeks i have been experiencing intermittent speach problems. At times i have a hard time beginning speech, I feel like the muscles in the throat contract and the words are hard to pronounce. After a few words it goes away and I speak normally. I have also experienced weekness in my arms on two occasions, not being able to pick things up. It lasted just for a few minutes. i am not sure what to do and I am very concerned. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Listen hun, google loves a life threatening disease!
Thats why you find some terrible ailment everytime you ask for directions relating to a symptom! e.g. 3 weeks ago I asked for a cause of mouth ulcers on there - gave me a list of ailments on first to third page listing HIV - AIDS, Hepatitis & Mouth Cancer. Turned out I had an allergy to the gum I chewed and docs prescribed me an anti allergant. Problem solved!
Believe me - you are best sticking to forums like this when a diagnosed has ben made and doctors advice than worrying yourself stupid over something which might not even be nearly true.

I first came on here asking for advice on my mother who had ACTUALLY been diagnosed with MND Bulbar onset. So I didnt happen upon it by 'googling'!
I agree some symptoms may be similar - but I can wholeheartledly say that it takes a whole lot of testing before ALS can be diagnosed. My mother for example had symptoms dating from April but 6 GP visits held no answers and not until Sep 17th was she admitted to a neurology unit and finally diagnosed. Believe me - with MND - this is a fairly short time from symtoms to diagnosed! Second diagnosed diff doc same hosp (Doc is chair of mnd assoc of Scotland) suggests this is mnd (however blood tests are still under scrutiny whether she has Issacs disease (1 in 2 million approx suffer from this ailment). But the pudding is insignificant - both treatments have no substantial treatment - only symptom handlers.

So my best bet if I were you would be to go direct to a neuro - discuss your symptoms and go through the tests (of which will be many) From the symptoms you have described you could have up to 50 different ailments. Unless a neuro sees you for diagnosed - you'll go through a torturous waiting game. And with that fact - you have to remember - the longer you wait -the longer you have to endure a condition which is PERFECTLY TREATABLE! Believe me - the Neuros just have to know to find out!

Just remember ALS is VERY RARE!
2 in 100,000 suffer its consequences............... it's an extremely small chance that you could be a statistic! :mrgreen:

Bluediskini

Isnt that so true what you say it seems we all have that problem dr.google. i no we can make our symptoms worse by reading these post i have convinced myself numerous of times i have als its so devestating to think like that everyday...But i tottaly get what you are saying jenny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back