Other
Country
Uni
State
Merseyside
City
Uk
Hi there,
I'm after a little advice please. I started having leg numbness 3 weeks ago which has since progressed to full blown muscle fibrillation all over my body. These can sometimes be seen as a twitch or jerk, and also felt by myself and not seen as such ie calf muscle. My feet are so cold. It's caused me immense anxiety and the gp has prescribed some tabs to help.
I can't see muscle atrophy anywhere but thinking about it, I have tripped over words and found it difficult to string a sentence together on a few occasions- mainly when I've been very anxious.
The gp said to wait a few weeks to see if the twitches subside then I'll be referred for nerve tests if they are still present.
I'm sorry to post on here but I'm wondering if I should push to be referred asap, rather than wait til after Christmas. The situation terrifies me but a diagnosis would terrify me more. Thank you for reading my post and I'm grateful for any responses.

Good news--numbness is not a sign of ALS. Unfortunately, people with ALS retain their sensory nerves and feel everything. There may be many other reasons for what you are experiencing, but don't worry about ALS. I am no doctor, but it may be that you have something neurological going on (based on the numbness), and that anxiety is causing the issue with forming sentences.

If you've read the stickies you know that twitches are not something to worry about, but I would get the numbness checked out. I have neuropathy which causes numbness in my lower legs (I do not have ALS).

Best of luck in researching this.

Hi Nuts.
Thank you for taking the time to reply. My legs aren't numb now ; I just recall a numbness and tingling then came the onset of all over twitches. I've been worried reading an article which states if the twitches can't be seen then it's very bad news. A lot of mine can't be seen. I'm booking an EMG. I have no weakness except a hand tremour if I hold something for a while but not weakness as such.
I do appreciate you taking the time to reply. Im sorry to harp on. I wish I'd never have used Mr Google now as it's sent me scared senseless.

I don't rely on the seen/unseen twitches idea. If the muscle is internal, you won't see 'em. Outer muscles get ALS, too. Inner muscles twitch due to stress, too. To me, it makes no difference. In fact, twitches are so common to so many things--and nothing at all--that they are useless for diagnosing ALS.

My legs are sometimes numb--and I DON'T have ALS. My big toes are always numb. It's a spine problem.

You didn't write ANYTHING that would concern me. Your GP has a good plan.

I agree with Mike and your GP.
It sounds to me like you're now becoming hypersensitive to every little thing. Not to sound condescending, but stop. Take a deep breath or 2. Stay away from Dr. Google. Enjoy this time with your family and friends.

Angie

Hi everyone.
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my original post. It's much appreciated.

I've refrained from coming back on here to settle my anxiety. This worked upto xmas when my right arm and hand started to feel odd. It feels like repetitive strain ache or a tremor inside it. I'm still able to grip and hold things, although if I hold the kettle full of water then my wrist and hand shakes and a strange ache occurs. I'm thinking this is a sign of weakness? It seems to be only when a certain position is maintained ie like holding my phone now, I can feel my forearm and hand feel shaky.

I've still got muscle twitching all over but rather than random 'pops' or twitches in an arm then leg then back, I've noticed the twitch will remain in the right calf for a good while now.
I'm also suffering from body jerking- foot will suddenly jerk or wrist, hand and thumb jolts. These are at rest. The twitching is constant though, even my 4 toes join in at the same time and twitch backwards!

My GP still won't refer me until the end of January to see if everything settles from being on citralapram.

I'm so sorry to bother you again but I don't know where to turn now. My other half is so dismissive saying it's from being on my phone and texting etc.

King regards.
Check1

Check, what are you asking folks here to do for you? This is not a health anxiety site. Nor can the people here help you diagnose yourself. You have already received the advice and expert opinions of some of the smarted and most experienced people on this forum.

It takes time for some meds to kick in. Particularly brain meds. If you need support, seek a therapist. There is no shame in that. No one is dismissing your symptoms, just that your symptoms don't fit the pattern of ALS. This is good news.

Hi Shiftkicker.

Thank you for replying. I really didn't mean to offend anyone by posting again. I was genuinely frightened about my hand and arm and whether it fits with weakness.

Thanks again for listening.

I'm sorry to post again but I'm trying to upload 2 photos of my hands which I think shows atrophy. I was eating tea last night and realised I was balancing my elbow on the table while using my knife. When holding up my arm to prevent it touching the table, I found it difficult to keep it off the table and it seemed to naturally drop to the table.
The foot jerks upwards when resting and hand/wrist jerks seem to relate to hyperreflexia according to search engines so now I'm stuck in a rut wondering if these are weakness signs. My knee jerk reflex seems brisk when I do it and elevates. I'm so sorry to bother you. Thank you for any replies. How do I upload the hand photos to seek your expert opinions?

Photos of my hands.

Attachments

• 20171231_114656.jpg
    20171231_114656.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 294
  • 20171231_114614.jpg
    20171231_114614.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 298
  • 20171231_094548.jpg
    20171231_094548.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 281
  • 20171231_094529.jpg
    20171231_094529.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 278
Please do not upload pictures; it's not necessary. You have been kindly told several times that you do NOT have ALS symptoms. What you're doing now disrespects everyone who have patiently answered your questions. Do yourself a favour and seek psychiatric help. Please.

For the final time, this site is not a health anxiety site. Please go elsewhere for your health anxiety queries. Have a good NYE.

Take good care.

Check. Please stop. It's not fair to the members here to use them as a resource to mitigate your fears of ALS. You are asking people with ALS to comfort you, a person who does not have ALS. It's immensely burdensome for the members here.

Please stop posting here. The only acceptable posting would be to report back AFTER a doctor's appointment. If you persist, you will be banned.

Your hands do NOT have atrophy. I know you are scared but you're on the wrong forum. Just follow up with your doctor and try to eat well, exercise, and do something like meditation to relax.

You are welcome to report back after you've been seen by a doctor.

I'm so sorry. I will do as asked. Thank you for replying.
God bless you all and please forgive me if I have upset anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back