Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
FL
City
Sarasota
I am 40 have balance issues, fasciculations, numbess especially in left foot and pinky and ring finger on left hand, found out a week ago after ruling out thyroid and likely not MS due to my MRI 2 years ago was fine, the DR said I have muscle atrophy in both hands on top and palms, and left foot. I also have reflex issues. The neurologist asked about my dropping things. I dropped the strawberry container twice just last week. My strength has rapidly decreased in the past year. I went from 12-15 pound for arms weights to 8.
Gave up gym as my exhaustion after doing 20 min was awful. Fallen a few times. Ironically off a elyptical machine that hurt, and my leg gave way on a step.
Decided to stick with walking and swimming. Yawn so much my coworkers think I party all night- I wish. Exhaustion gets bad some days that working all day, and helping my son with homework is almost too much. I have a lovely limp in my left foot. It's not all that stable.
So my neurologist, due to my family history of ALS-my grandfather was taken by this disease, sent me to an EMG. I am concerned to say the least and quite scared. I don't drink, never smoked and never did any drugs. I already have crohns which is mostly in remission, and arthritis in my lower back and feet.

What is the next step is the EMG comes back abnormal?

Is there anything else I can test for? I DO NOT want ALS. I am too young and have too much to live for. My son and husband need me.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Are you going to the als clinic at usf for the emg? The have neurologists who specialize in neuromuscular disorders. If the thinking is als, I would make sure at the least, that you get a second opinion there. There is also an mda clinic out of st. Joes in tampa . They also treat als patients and neuromuscular diseases.

I realize you said they have tested your thyroid. They should have also tested vitamind d, b12, muscle enzymes, metabolic panel, complete blood count, heavy metals, anti jo antibodies, and there is still more. They also may do an mri of the neck and,brain, a ct of the chest, a muscle biopsy and spinal tap. Als is a.diagnosis of exclusion. Make sure you get copies of all your reports including the emg. You will need them for your second opinion.

Sunshine, good news:

> balance issues = This has nothing to do with ALS
> fasciculations = Could be anything, so it's not diagnostic
> numbess = Not a symptom of ALS
> muscle atrophy in both hands = Both? Strange. ALS starts with one nerve at a time.
> exhaustion = Not a beginning symptom of ALS
> Yawn = Not anything to do with ALS
> family history of ALS = One person does not make a genetic trend.
> What is the next step is the EMG comes back abnormal? = Could be abnormal for many reasons.
> Is there anything else I can test for? = Sorry, I'm not a doctor. But I do know ALS fairly well, and you haven't described ALS.

Sunshine, I think you're worrying ahead of yourself. As Gooseberry said, ALS is a diagnosis of exclusion. The "good" news is, you've probably got some medical problem, but I doubt it's ALS. Gooseberry mentions a lot of possibilities that your doctors will go through. The EMG is used to find many problems, not just ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back