Scared of twitches , is it something more ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

royceh

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
WA
City
Spokane
Hello all, thank you for taking the time to read my questions and hopefully reply. I am sorry you all are going through this tough and awful disease. I have been a reoccurring reader on these forums for about a year now. I started a medication last October called enbrel for arthritis, I am 29 years old. After a few weeks I noticed muscle twitches in my legs, mostly my thighs and calf muscles. I made the mistake of googling it and it sent me into a dark place and I was horrified. Since then I have asked my Dr and he has said that I am totally fine and doesn’t seem to care about the twitches at all. Since then the twitching has spread to my arms, back, abdomen and pretty much everywhere. I’ll even twitch for several hours in one spot and it freaks me out because I think I have ALS. Everyone says location and duration doesn’t matter. But I continue to read about people who twitched for a year then are diagnosed. So my question is should I let these fears go ? I have been taking busbar and it seems to help but every time I feel a twitch my heart races and I go into panic google mode. Please advise. Thank you all.

Stop reading. Whatever you're reading is misleading you and hijacking your health.

Start living. You've only got one life, and it's one that people here can't have.

Yes, let the fears go and get a new or different counselor to help if you can't.

Trying a different med for your anxiety is another possibility. Buspirone is not typically used on its own but rather to augment another drug, like an SSRI. I believe that if your anxiety were better controlled that would likely help with the twitching as well.

You do not have ALS.

Thank you for taking time to reply. I will do my best to control my anxiety. So you’re saying after a year I am out of the woods ? Again, thank you.

There were never any woods. Twitches alone mean nothing as regards ALS. But no, after a year, there is no doubt.

All the best.

Thank you for your time and god bless everyone who is dealing with this horrible disease.

Hello sorry to bother again, but I have new worry some symptoms. My toes have been involuntary moving. Twitching for several hours at a time. I also still twitch in my legs, back , calves, everywhere it seems. Should I worry? Thank you.

There is no more reason to worry than when you first posted, but I encourage you to explore counseling and/or medication changes that could reduce your anxiety. It is also worth discussing all the meds you are on with your internist or rheumatologist. Some meds can cause twitching or make it worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back