Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
PA
City
Philadelphia
Hi everyone. I have fallen numerous times since last Summer. I can’t pinpoint any leg weakness but my speech is slurry and my walking is off-balance but upper body seems fine. Dr. says I have some kind of ataxia. Numerous blood tests done along with mri brain. All clear. My handwriting is poor. I have all over twitching since September. I was sure it is ALS but my emg is clean. I am scared bc my csf shows tau protein.

Sorry you have these issues, that is scary. I do feel you need to work with your doctor as they know your history and can examine you. ALS is a disease of the brain and neurons, so CSF problems are something quite different.

Tau in csf is very nonspecific It can be found in a number of neurologic diseases. Your emg points away from ALS. I hope you are being seen at Temple or UPenn so they can figure this out for you

Thanks for the quick reply. I’m also ANA positive. I am wondering if that’s common for members?

ANA has nothing to do with ALS. An internist or rheumatologist is best equipped to evaluate this lab value, in concert with all the others, as well as your symptoms.

Hello everyone, I did get a rheumatologist referral from my neurologist due to ANA and SSB positive tests even though my symptoms are clearly neurological. A year ago I noticed poor walk balance along with beginning slurred speech and poor handwriting around the same time. Would that be what is called “ global onset” or ALS doesn’t present that way?

Are people telling you that you sound drunk all the time?

No one says I sound drunk but my slurring speech has been noticeable by others for 8 months and getting worst. I use a cane so the cops don’t stop me. I have been told I have a drunken walk.

Again I hope you are Temple or UPenn. if your gait and speech issues were due to ALS it really should have showed on EMG. But you need an expert diagnostician to figure it out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back