sironside

Country
US
State
md
City
salisbury
Hi guys,
I'm only 22 and have very bothersome symptoms. I've had breathing problems that come and go since January of 08. it seems to get worse some weeks and a lot better others. I had the flu really bad, the worst I can remember (very high fever for 5 days) the end of february. My musle twitching started in the middle of having the flu and it was only in one small area of my arm that would twitch on and off througout the day. This lasted for about 3 or 4 days and went away. A week after the twitching stopped, it came back in the same small spot on my left arm. Since then, the twitching slowly involved my entire left side (over the course of 3-5 day) and the the rest of my body a few days after that. It's been about 3 weeks since the twitching started again and has not stopped. The twitching is never constant but it is daily and occurs many times a day. It sacares me because I still get twitching in that one spot on my left arm frequently. I also feel like within the last week the fine motor skills in my left hand are off. At night time sometimes ill wake up as im about to fall asleep because i feel like I'm not breathing. I also sometimes get a twitch in my spinal cord at bedtime that feels like an electric shock. I get chills and shake uncontrollably at times but no fever. I work at the hospital as a CNA one day a week (I'm in nursing school) and the last 2 weeks I end up in the ER downstairs during my shift. the first time I ended up there they did a pregnancy test, blood glucose (I'm not a diabetic, I'm almost underweight), and an EKG. the last time I went to the ER they did xrays and CT scans of my chest and it was all clear. 2 weeks ago I saw an internist who did a quick neuro exam and said my strength was fine. He ordered an MRI to check for MS and lesions and that came back fine. my mother is a psychiatrist and certified neurologist and she checked my strength and reflexes yesterday and said I was fine. I got bloodwork done checking for lyme and autoimmune disease and it was all clear. I'm tired of hearing at the ER that I'm an exceptionally healthy young woman. I cry every night because its hard to live with these symptoms every day for a month and not now what its from. My mother is good friends with a neurologist and she will ask her if she'll see me on tuesday. I'm a bit scared because the reflexes on my knees seem too hyper but mother says they were always like that. I don't know what to think and I'm terrified. I've had tingling on the left side of my face and I was in a mental fog for a while within the last month. Would an EMG even show motor neuron death this soon? I have a history of major depression, bipolar disorder, and anxiety. I was told yesterday that it might be anxiety but I have never had this many physical symptoms with anxiety and stress. Sorry for all the writing....:(

Hi there. I'd listen to your mother here. Stress from school and life in general can cause a lot of the symptoms you describe. If she can get you in to get a second opinion, it can't hurt but I (not a doctor) don't think you have ALS or a MND.
AL.

I'm just scared because the twitching spread throughout my body from one spot. And now I have weakness in the originally affected arm (I keep dropping things, ect.). My legs feel weak too and I have twitching like crazy on them. It scares the crap out of me and I'm at my wits end. I'm seeing a neurologist tomorrow and I'll ask for an EMG but I'm afraid to find out what the results will be.

So what did the Neuro have to say?
AL.

She did her exam. My strength is good but my balance is very bad. I do have hyperreflexia (she says it's normal for someone my age and my reflexes are normal). She also tested for clonus in my feet and I don't have that. Of course I had the twitching the entire time I was there and she got to see it but it was only in my arm. She doesn't want to do an EMG yet. She ordered an MRI of my entire spine because she thinks it might be a slipped disk. She also ordered blood work (heavy metals, thyroid and parathyroid function, myesthenia gravis screen). She did press on a nerve in my neck and I jolted a bit because it was sore (this is why she wants to check my spine). I also have low body weight and she says that my symptoms might be from dehydration and low blood pressure. At this point, I'm not sure what to think. I really want an EMG but I also want to let her do her job of ruling out other things first. I see her again in 2 weeks after I get the tests done.

Hello sironside

I think your neuro is on the right track . . . that is . . . a disk problem. The thing that really points to it, is the "electric shock" that you say you get in your spine from time to time and your neuro pressing on your spine and it causing you discomfort. The problems you potentially have in your spine can certainly cause your symptoms (that includes the twitching). Compound that with stress from school and the stress you're putting yourself through at the moment. Do your best to calm yourself. It really doesn't sound like ALS at all. The other thing you have on your side is your age; it is incredibly rare to see ALS at 22. Take care.

I have a question for you or anyone else with als,i have hyperreflexia ,positive babinski sign,swallowing difficullty,chewing is hard,headaches all the time,nerves jerk and twitch alot,spasms in my stomach,feet and legs,but my neurologist says with als you don't twitchor have muscle spasms,i wonder if my neurologist is just new and does not know alot about this disease or what because i have read where people with als do have spasms and twitch alot in there nerves .My husband says to get a second opinion,he has already done one emg test and it showed nerve damage on the side he did it on,and now he is going to do a two hour emg test to see what shows up on it.I ask him what else could be causing my swallowing problem and all he says is he cannot tell me that ,and i have to wait to see if i have more symptoms later.Well i don't want to keep waiting and end up dieing while he decides if it is that or not.If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.thanks,and good luck ....wanda

ALS or what?

you said in an earlier posting that because of the sensory symptoms and pain that you felt that it was not ALS...
47 yrs. old. Have been fully diagnosed with RA. Sometimes when I bump my arm or hand I will get shocking and tingleing sensations that go straight to my head. If I sit down or take a step down too hard and quickly it also occurs of course then radiating from the area. I have noticed an increase in total weakness. Lot of pain in neck and back and feet arms hands well, just all over. I had an MRI on head and neck. also EMG and lots of blood work- now just waiting to hear from DR. on the 18th What do you think.

Hello sironside

I think your neuro is on the right track . . . that is . . . a disk problem. The thing that really points to it, is the "electric shock" that you say you get in your spine from time to time and your neuro pressing on your spine and it causing you discomfort. The problems you potentially have in your spine can certainly cause your symptoms (that includes the twitching). Compound that with stress from school and the stress you're putting yourself through at the moment. Do your best to calm yourself. It really doesn't sound like ALS at all. The other thing you have on your side is your age; it is incredibly rare to see ALS at 22. Take care.

I say wait for what the Doc has to say. You may be pleasantly surprised. Try to get out and enjoy the warm days between now and then. The 18th will come soon enough and, if my guess proves true, the real celebrating can then begin. Good luck!

wandabates

I would get a Second Opinion!

Lorie

Great, now my speech seems off. my tongue is heavy and sometimes i slur some words. my face muscles now spasm every time I smile. did i mention my tongue twitched twice within the past month? not to mention the continual twitching in my left leg and arm. Oh yea, and the breathing problems are still here. Somebody shoot me because I'm getting depressed (the docs put me on prozac and klonopin). My blood work shows I have high calcium and everything else is low. I don't know what is going on but I'm getting worse. at least the nausea finally let up. I can't cope with this at all... I cry every night :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back