04/2001
Country
US
State
California
City
Oceanside
Hi all,
Since choking on food is happening more, and I don't think it's time yet to get a J-PEG, I am curious about the "cough assist" machines I have seen mentioned in some posts here.
My disease hit my phrenic nerve, thus have a weak diaphragm. And coughing is very weak. Two weeks ago, I choked on some chicken stuck in my throat, that since I don't have a gag reflex anymore, I stuck my hand into my mouth, slipped my fingers down my throat, and was able to dislodge it. I did not have any force to cough it up.

Since I have not seen an actual thread on the "cough assist" machine, I am wondering if this machine would help in these situations?
I "googled" "cough assist machine", and came up with the following:
CoughAssist®

Mechanical Insufflator-Exsufflator
CoughAssist is a noninvasive therapy that safely and consistently removes secretions in patients with an ineffective ability to cough (peak cough flow <270 l/m).

Typical CoughAssist patients include those with the following conditions:

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
Spinal muscular atrophy
Muscular dystrophy
Myasthenia gravis
Spinal cord injuries

CoughAssist clears secretions by gradually applying a positive pressure to the airway, then rapidly shifting to negative pressure. The rapid shift in pressure produces a high expiratory flow, simulating a natural cough.

Benefits of CoughAssist
Removes secretions from the lungs
Reduces the occurrence of respiratory infections
Safe, noninvasive alternative to suctioning
Easy for patients and caregivers to operate
CoughAssist Flexibility
Can be used with a face mask, mouthpiece or with an adapter to a patient's endotracheal or tracheostomy tube
Approved for home use in adults and children
Available in automatic and manual models
---------
Does this mean it is only good for getting secretions out, or will it also work when you are choking on food?
Can someone please answer to me, for those that have one, if they would work to cough food out, and if so, are they portable for you to take with you when you go to a restaurant?
Thanks to replies...
KEDASO
(Ken)

Ken, the information you posted states that it is used to help with secretions.

It is a marvelous machine but please don't assume, or expect, it to help you if you get another piece of chicken caught in your throat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back