Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
OH
Hi All,
Im a 27 year old male. Thank you first for your time and potential response. I have had 24/7 twitches for 3 years bodywide without any noticable weakness. Within the past several months, I started developing twitches in my tongue I can feel and I reached out to my neurologist at the Cleveland Clinic. We talked and I told him about my new symptoms and that I have been hyper stressed and alert and that I was also experiencing a globs sensation. He scheduled an EMG right before Christmas that covered my legs, arm, bicep, tricep, shoulder, lower and middle back, and the middle region of my upper neck (17 muscles in all). The EMG came back normal and I was told no evidence of MND or ALS. However, I am still hyper aware of my tongue and within the last couple of weeks I have developed some swallowing issues. I have no slurred speech.

1) My question is would EMG in the shoulder and back of neck have picked up Bulbar?
2) Should I request another EMG of more muscles in my neck?

Thank you for any advice,

Nate

Yes, an EMG of 17 muscles would show some abnormalities in ALS, even though your tongue was not included (as is not uncommon, because it's not fun and the hallmark of ALS is certain findings in muscles that don't have current issues).

So the advice for your second question is no. I would be looking at dry mouth, sleep, hydration, stress, GERD and allergies.

Best,
Laurie

Please don't request more tests but do return to your PCP and ask for help with your fears.
This way your PCP can decide on how to proceed next with checking for the true cause which could still be many things, and all of them are likely to be treatable. Be really honest with your doctor, but put ALS right away from your thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back