Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Massachusetts
City
Boston
Hi All,

I'm sending positive thoughts to all. I read the stickie but I have questions. I have had a foot twitch start after I saw my neurologist, it is persistent, but I have twitches elsewhere too (that are not persistent). I am very very nervous. My nerologist tested my reflexes (normal), I had no movement problems, though sometimes I think my hands are weak. Does such weakness sometimes develop into clinical weakness? I just feel like I'm one dropped glass away from being incredibly upset. I called him and he said not to be nervous about it, wondering if that's similar to others' views? Just nervous I am in the early stages of ALS where reflexes, weakness, and atrophy haven't shown yet

Agree with your neurologist. The hallmark of ALS is clinical weakness/ muscle failure. That is the early stage of ALS. It starts in one area and moves but it is all the same thing just widespread as it progresses.

If you read the sticky why did you post in the wrong subforum?

Oh my apologies I didn't go directly from there to posting, I was thinking about it all day. That sounds like good news to me, but aren't twitches sometimes a first symptom?

No mate twitching is not the first symptom - I'd suggest you read the sticky post again to be sure you see that all your concerns are answered there. All the best.

Thank you so much for your responses! I am really trying not to be a pain, but the way I read the stickie it said it can rarely be a first symptom? Thank you guys, you guys are really reassuring me since the only symptom I have his a twitch and maybe some perceived weakness (which I understand is not a symptom at all)

When you ask the same questions again and again, you become a pain. Sorry to be blunt. You've had your questions answered by very knowledgeable members as well as a neurologist. Not sure what more you could want.

Take good care and enjoy a long and healthy life.

You will find reports of people who say they twitched first. There are usually 2 scenarios 1 they twitched went to the neuro who found abnormalities on clinical exam - usually weakness but occasionally spasticity or othe UMN sign- that they did not know they had
2 they have the rare Familial ALS caused by SOD1. Unless you have lost multiple relatives including a parent to ALS this is not you. You said the neuro cleared you so scenario 1 is not you either.

Twitching is an incredibly common human symptom. Jumping to ALS is like thinking a headache must be a brain tumor. Most of the time a twitch is just a twitch and headache just a headache.

Is there another scenario where someone REALLY had only twitching , had a normal exam and then got SALS? I am sure it has happened but not worth worrying about.

Last edited:
My apologies for the offense, I'm truly appreciative of all the help everyone just gave me. It will help me greatly, thank you so much from the bottom of my heart

As I did research now I think my Neuro didn't do a very thorough test...he didn't do the Burbinski test nor did he do any reflex tests for my upper body, he only did them for my lower body, is this a big screw up?

Stop! You do not have ALS. We have told you that. Your neurologist has told you that. The fact you keep posting more questions even after all these people told you no ALS is very typical for health anxiety. This is not a health anxiety forum. Please seek care for your anxiety. Best of luck.

You're so right, I really thought that was legitimate but you seem adamant. Okay I'll accept that, I'm done officially

I'm sorry, thank you all again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back