Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
GR
State
NY
City
Athens
Hello and thank you for your time. I am a 20 year old male and while i know it's rare to have this being my age, i have been panicking close to 4 years now and there are symptoms that i just cannot ignore . My story starts with a really sudden weakness in both of my legs, i just woke up and my legs 'felt' so heavy and i could bearily walk that day.

Then my right back muscle ( i think it's called spatula not sure, the wing like one sorry for my ignorance) felt really weak and still is weak to this very day, i can feel it when i type on the computer or i pick something up, it's like is popping outwards really weird. A couple months later i am still twitching and trying to relax from my ALS fears untill i see that the muscle between my thumb and index is twitching and is much smaller than it used to be, and trust me on that one i remember how it used to look since i used to workout a lot, my hands were beefy and pretty strong.

Again a month later i saw that the muscle on the base of my thumb was atrophied just like the muscle between the thumb and the index like it is very clear that the right thumb is much smaller than the left one. However, the most annoying symptom and the scariest is my difficulty to swallow properly, like every time i try to drink water there is a weird and loud sound coming from my throat and i had choked numerous times drinking and also eating bread seems harder it's really annoying and scary.

A year later after these symptoms appeared i decided to go to a neurologist who really did not take me seriously due to my age but regardless said my reflexes seemed fine and he only cared about my dysphagia so he instructed me to an EMG, which came back 'normal'. After that i decided to go to another neurologist who noticed anisocoria in my eyes and instructed an MRI which i am currently waiting for.

Also did some blood tests which showed a midly elevated CPK but they said that was due to me working out.
Long story short my thumb still functions which is reassuring but this kind of atrophy especially with twitching is scaring me so f****g, especially since i read about the split hand sign. I feel really depressed and scared, cannot sleep properly or focus on my studies.
Again thank you for your time and your patience for reading that long, i really feel like there is no one to talk to right now being in this terrible limbo...

Hi there- have a read here: Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms to reassure yourself.

A normal emg and no clinical weakness and normal reflexes points away from ALS. Twitching is so common and is only a concern if accompanied by other symptoms that are the signature of ALS (none of which you report, nor any detected by your doctor). What may have caused your eye issues is something you will have to continue working with your doctor to find out. If you are finding your anxiety is rendering you unable to function normally, you need to also get help for that while you continue to get to the bottom of your health issues. The good news is that you can knock ALS off your list of things to worry about.

Take care

Thank you for your time and interest to read my post and yes i did read the 'read before posting' since i have been wandering for quite a while in this forum ( i know i should not but can't help it....). Yeah i have read that twitching can mean anything but what worries me is the thenar muscle atrophy (very specific to als) and the dysphagia which the 1st neurologist said could be an issue of the CNS. Also my hands feel stiff especially when i type. But yeah i guess you are right i should probably calm down a bit considering my age which is the only reassuring factor as to not start having panic attacks again....
Thanks for your answer and your time

Hello, I am truly sorry that you are worried about ALS. I was diagnosed Nov 7,2016 and am currently Paralyzed from the shoulders down. What I am saying is you do not have ALS. I thank God for that, because I don't want anyone to have this. Please keep working with your gp but this, sweet child is not your cross to bare. Bless you and have a wonderful life.

Thenar atrophy is not specific to ALS. We can see it in some cases of carpal tunnel syndrome and other nerve compression conditions, trauma, and in certain forms of arthritis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back