Status
Not open for further replies.
Scared for me and my family... help please

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all, and this is my first post to the forum and I apologize for its length. I hope that you can help guide me through what I beginning to fear may become a reality. Any feedback on this lengthy post would be most appreciated. I am 40 years old.

About 18 months ago I began to notice that both my legs felt week. I first noticed it when pedaling a three wheeled bicycle with my 2 y/o daughter and my then pregnant wife. I chalked it up to being out of shape. In looking back, at about the same time, I noticed my hands were a bit weak and a little achy, and things like ripping up junk mail was tougher than it used to be. I chalked it up to getting old. Both continued to be mildly annoying, but I did not think much of it.

About 12 months ago, I started noticing that my legs would get tingly and numb if I sat on the toilet for more than 5 minutes or so, and that my arms would go numb if I slept on them. Once again, I thought that I must be getting old.

About 3 months ago I was bending down to pick up a beach towel after waterskiing a bit, and fell over in agony. It turns out that I had major back spasms for the first time in my life. After several trips to the chiropractor, xrays and lower back MRI, to identify some mild disc degeneration, I have fully recovered by stretching everyday. (not sure if related, but my theory is that I was using my back to overcompensate for my weak legs)

Over the last 2 months or so, my leg numbness and weakness has gotten much more pronounced (almost constant), and has also included my arms now. I can barely hold my one year old daughter for more than 3 minutes without my bicep muscle becoming agonizingly painful. I also am achy all over (especially the shoulders and forearms) and have started to notice twitchings all over my body. They are not constant, but happen fairly often throughout the day.

I went to my GP two weeks ago and had all the typical blood work done which came back negative. I then went to the nuerologist yesterday and he did an initial evaluation. From what I can tell, I had no gait abnormalities, could stand on my toes and heels and walk fine, and he seemed OK with my other movements (I think). The one thing he mentioned to me were my "brisk reflexes", which I beleive are a symptom of ALS.

His preliminary diagnosis is that I definetely "have some illness". His best guess is Peripheral Polyneuropathy, however he is also considering Myostis and Myopothy, but did not seem to think that these were the cause. When I asked him about the possibility of ALS, he looked up from his notes and indicated that yes, this is something that we should be concerned about given my symptoms. I am scheduled for the neuro-tests next Friday.

In thinking (i.e. worrying myself sick) about this the last 24 hours, looking at my daughters and candidly crying a couple of times, I realize that my leg weakness is really more in my upper legs and my arm weakness is really in my upper arms (biceps primarily) while my numbness is in my lower legs and arms. I ache in my shoulders and both of my arms, but there is little pain in my legs. I do notice that my balance is off a bit and little things take more concentration for me to do. I can do them, but I now have to think about them more- i.e. turning on a light switch while walking. Not sure if this matters or not.

So, I guess my questions are these:

- Thoughts on my symptoms being ALS?
- Does my story sound similar to anyone's experience here?
- What are the neuro-tests going to be looking for to make an ALS diagnosis vs something else like Peripheral Polyneuropathy?
- Any advice on how to cope....

Thanks VERY much for anyone's help as I am REALLY scared right now.

Ray

Ray
Welcome to the forums! I too am new here but have already got loads of information and help from the folks here, and you will too!
Yes your story sounds very close to mine, lost use of most of my right arm and gand, and legs have gotten weaker faster then I want to admit. I was diagnosed with ALS in January but had haved a few years of light hand pain and use, just wrote it off as arthitis or carpel tunnel. After several EMG's and 4 MRI's I found out different.
I am a single male 46 years old and scared alot! Pride has always gotten in my way, and looks like I am going to have to shake that off real soon!
Hang in there buddy, you'll be in my thoughts and prayers!
Gary

Thanks Gary

Gary,

I am so very sorry to hear that you have officially been DX'd with ALS. My prayers are with you. It sounds like you are dealing with things better than me, so you should be proud of yourself IMHO! I appreciate the kind words and will keep you in mind as I go through this thing....

Ray

An update from me as well- feedback appreciated

Folks,

So, I have decided to more pro actively manage my medical process as I am beginning to get frustrated with my Neuro. While I think that he is doing what he can, he is grudging at best in answering questions or giving me information. Case in point was that the biopsy dr was "some guy in Long Beach who has been doing this for 30 years." He wouldn't give me a name, couldn't or wouldn't give me a timeline, etc.

To make a long story short, I found out who the biopsy guy was, what hospital he was at and got the # from 411. I called his office today to verify that my Neuro had ordered the Electron microscope tests to look for IBM. Lo and behold, when I called the main # and asked for his office, they transferred me to his direct line and he picked up. I was honestly sort of stunned, and asked if i could have some time. He said that he was in a meeting but took my # and would call me back.

Sure enough, 3 hours later he called me back and spent 30 minutes walking me through the biopsy results, asking me questions and genuinely being helpful and compassionate. He took the the time to explain things to me in a non condescending fashion, and explaining his thinking about my particular situation and the testing that he had done over the last couple of weeks on my muscles.

Here is the kicker. When I asked if he had heard from my Neuro about the electron microscope test to look for IBM, he said "no, I have not heard from him yet" (my neuro committed to me to do this on Monday) and perhaps even more importantly, "your neuro is wrong."

He went on to explain that the stain tests he did on the entire muscle sample which he put under a high powered (but not electron) microscope would have had a 100 times greater chance of showing the sings of IBM (vacoules) than a super tiny piece in the EM. Basically he said that it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack looking at one handful of hay vs the entire stack- an analogy that makes total sense to me.

At this point, I don't know what to believe, think, or listen to. I am going in for a spinal tap on Monday, but seriously want to ask my Neuro about my conversation as well. Does anyone here have any advice as it relates to the medical info or the experience that I just had?

As always, thanks everyone.

Ray

Hi Ray! Oh please, don't blame yourself. It's not your fault that you are sick. It's only human for your loved ones to cry over this. Let them cry. God says it is alright to cry. He will give you and your loved ones comfort in due time. I ached for my son so much, and I cried soooooo much during his illness. I cried day in, day out. My eyes were swollen all the time, and looked so drained, my folks were worried about me as well. If you were to see me 3 months later you would not believe it. Why have I gone this far? The reason is I know our Heavenly Father cradled my son in his arms, and carried him home. He is no longer in pain. I thank our Father for the nearly 39 years that we had our baby!

May God bless you and your family. I haven't been posting for a few days because I went to a funeral in Dallas. My oldest brother lost his wife to Diabetes. I have been busy keeping an eye on my brother, but he is coming along, bless his heart. I have never seen him cry until then, and it broke my heart. He is getting a lot of support from his family, or should I say we are spoiling him, LOL!
Take care Ray. God bless you.

Irma

Ray, I haven't read all of these posts until today and wanted to say I'm sorry you're going thru this. I am on the opposite end, I am the wife to a husband who went thru this same game of waiting and wondering and testing and who wants to protect me so some of your posts are heart breaking to me.

I would perhaps at this point get a msg to your neuro and explain your findings. I'm a passive aggressive person though and would probably say that I called to find out how long these results would take, and lo and behold, the actual guy answered the phone - and go from there.

I think you need to ask for a 2nd opinion referral as well. Your neuro should not be offended by this and should welcome insight from a colleague.

Hang in there.

Ashley

Thanks Duplinwino and another update

I appreciate the kind words Duplinwino, and your experience. Its just really hard for me being the stereotypical, sexist male I guess. I am supposed to be the provider/strong one for my family and the idea of me being a burden affects me so strongly. I just feel so skinny and weak already. Once again, I want to be sensitive to others on this board, s0 please excuse my complaining.

On an update note, I had a spinal tap done yesterday, which was not too bad, but I have had a RAGING headache and intense nausea if I stand up at all. I have spent the entire day working on my back in bed with my laptop as I am trying to minimize the impact to my work since I am worried about insurance. I don't know exactly what they are looking for other than MS- which I don't seem like I have.

I also have been referred to UC Irvine's Neurology clinic by my Neurologist, and the first appt available is on 10/8. Hopefully this path will turn out better than the one that I have been on. God, I am still scared (and obviously still a pansy)

Ray

Ray,

First of all you are not a pansy- you are brave for going through all of this!

I lost my father to a brain tumor. He told me he thought that he had one before he told my mother, and then told me not to tell anyone becaue he was scared. He did not me and my brother to be without a dad. We all cried. Crying is a way of showing you care, you are there, you feel. The human soul is resliant. I love my father, I think of him everyday. I know this is of little comfort, but everyone has a place and everyone makes a difference. If we do not have much time on this Earth it is because we are being called for something greater. Our loved ones know this on some level.

Ray,

I pray you are doing well, it is your thread or string or whatever the term is that encouraged me to join this forum... my own case is unknown and may be brief.. but I do pray and hope for you and your family, love them with all your might and joy. Please let us know how you are, tears are cleansing and healthy, share them with your family - it will help heal you and give them strength....

Hi Daddyof2 -

I do not know where you live in California - but if you could possibly get to UCLA that is where I would go for a diagnosis. If you do have ALS (hope not) a full scale ALS clinic is best. We can discuss that when you get to that bridge.

As far as UCI Neurology is concerned - I really do not know - but UCI has had huge problems over the years in MANY departments, some including fraud.

I am familiar with UCLA because I worked there - very professional, thorough and compassionate. My best friend, and the person I care for with ALS, worked at UCLA for 30 years, and got her diagnosis there - then she moved to be with me in the Chicago area. Others here have also been through UCLA.

I hate to have you chasing your tail- but if you have the option, UCLA is just a stronger institution in every way.

I don't mean to promote any particular place, I am just skeptical of UC Irvine.

Best of luck and I will be thinking about you. Beth

PS - Maybe you can start a thread asking about people's experience with UCI - maybe it is just fine - but hate to see you find another place that is less than optimal.

Hi Daddyof2,

I am so sorry for what you are going through. You sound like such a kind person, a loving husband, a father in love with his little ones, and I think you should be proud of yourself for how you have handled things. It is hard so hard to deal with your body going haywire on you.

I am glad that the subject of medical places was brought about. I also have some questions about doctors and clinics in Southern California. I do know that UCLA is VERY difficult to get into. I have been trying to get in and just barely go a call back after two doctors written referrals (one from a neuro and one from a GP), with breathing issues... and it has been 2 months. I heard that the way to get in quickly is to go through the ER, and I have been close to doing it that way.

I heard that Dr. Michael Graves is a good person to see at UCLA. Does anyone know about him?

If you want to try UCLA, here is the website that I used to print out physician referral forms for my GP to forward. My neurologist had his own method to contact them.

http://www.neurology.ucla.edu/clinical.jsp?m=2&s=3_1

Here is UCSD's website (because it sounded like you may be further South), although I have no feedback personally for them:

http://health.ucsd.edu/specialties/Neuro/ALS.htm

Also, the MDA Clinic in Santa Barbara has a doctor named Dr. Frecker. He is also difficult to get in to see. His number is 805-569-7287 and they answer the phone "outpatient surgery" when you call, but they are an extension of Cottage Hospital and if you ask for Gina or Teresa and tell them you are calling about the MDA clinic, they will help you. I have heard some great things about Dr. Frecker from an attorney who handles medical issues in the area, but am still waiting to see him.

Again, I'd love to know any feedback anybody knows about these people, UCLA in particular. Let me know what County you are located in and I'll give you more referral information if I can.

Best wishes to you and your family. It is what it is, and you would love your wife no matter what, so my only advice to you is ... just let her love you and stop beating yourself up for what is out of your control. None of us asked to be sick and it is nice to have a place to understand each other.

Clinics in Southern California

Hi Midnight (and Daddyof2) -

I just remembered - Cedars Sinai opened a clinic a number of months ago. They claim it is very broad in services. Since they are so new - maybe you can get in easier.

Beth

Missing in action?

Has anyone heard from daddyof2? Just hoping and praying all is well with you Ray.. I will keep you and your family on my prayer list...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back