Loved one DX
Diagnosis
07/2019
Country
US
State
CA
Hi everyone,
We just got a hospital bed for dad and tried it for a nap, and it is really scaring him. He can't talk, so it's hard for me to figure out in the moment what is upsetting him. So far, the notes he has written and the reactions I'm seeing suggest a couple of things. First, he said that he was coughing and didn't know what to do. Is there a particular position with an adjustable bed that would help the most?

Second, I think he wanted to turn on his side and felt like he couldn't, so I put up the railings up this time and told him there was plenty of space to turn over. Is this true? Can he sleep on his side in the bed?

Third, he really hated getting into the bed. I thought it would be easier if he got in while it was up so that he could just sit down, I could help put his legs up, and then he could lower himself. But he seemed to be getting really anxious as he went lower and lower and kept trying to push himself up, but he doesn't have the strength to do that. And I couldn't figure out what position he wanted to be in. Does anyone have tips for getting into the hospital bed? Should I just give up on lowering down to go to sleep? I was hoping he could just get comfortable that way, so that I would have to be lifting him up so often to get him on the pillows (which is hurting my back).

Any general advice about good hospital bed use would be amazing. I'm just hoping we'll all be able to get some sleep tonight! Thanks!

Hi June, new equipment is scary for him and you. First, I would tell him that you're scared, too, and you will work together to get it right.

For coughing, when he is coughing hard, you will want to elevate the head into more of a sitting position.

To prevent it from starting as much as possible, often we position the head and feet about 15 degrees or so each. It does take some trial and error.

That should allow him to possibly grab the railing (if he can?) and turn on his side, but ultimately he is probably to end up sleeping more on his back over time. Having the head and feet somewhat elevated should help his back feel better about that position.

As for the anxiety when you lowered him, that could be simply that having the bed move was physically/mentally disorienting. Have you tried getting into it yourself, while he watches from a chair, raising it, lowering it, etc.? I would also have him watch while you do it with the empty bed.

You might want to start at a middle of the road for your back, that involves less movement up front, and then gradually adjust back.

It will also take repeated times before he is more comfortable.

I would also try to have the bed somewhat angled, at least the head, when he gets in, because that will help him breathe and feel less claustrophobic. The tradeoff is that it may be more difficult to get him in that way.

Ultimately, you will need a Hoyer lift, but hopefully you can get him comfortable with the bed first.

Best,
Laurie

If he plays around with the bed during the day, he might feel better about using it at night. I get into mine by sitting on the edge of the bed and then lowering the entire bed as far as it will go. I need someone to help lift my legs into the bed and position me. If you are positioning your dad, I suggest you raise the whole bed up to save your back. Once he is lying down in the right spot, lower the entire bed down for safety. Once he is in the bed lying down, you can elevate head and/ or feet. Raising the entire bed facilitates standing if one is still able to stand.

If he has good arm strength, he can use the side rails to help him turn onto his side. I can sleep on my side even with the head elevated slightly. I have not tried to do that with the feet elevated. Sometimes it is helpful to have extra pillows to help support the body in different positions. Keeping the side rails up will help keep the pillows from falling off the bed.

Thank you both so much for your really useful replies. I used your advice, and he managed to get into bed without too much fear. Not sure he has fallen asleep yet, but I really appreciate your help at a time I was feeling anxious!

I sleep only on my left side with the head raised about 40 degrees and the feet up a little bit. I'm small so most of my torso is on the slant. I have a pillow against my back and a body pillow in front for my arms and legs. It sounds confining but it keeps me secure and comfortable. I also couldn't handle sleeping on my back, even with the head raised way up.. Plus, after spending a day on my butt in the wheelchair, it's nice to be in a different position. so, it can be done if you can get the position right. It does take a little trial and error... And Ativan.

Everyone is different. I have an adjustable bed that isn't as hospital bed but it does lots of different positions. Does he have a TV on the wall so he can watch TV in his bed? I originally got mine because I was watching TV in my old bed and had to use pillows to prop my head up. That caused a lot of neck pain in a prior injury. There is a sweet spot for everyone's back and I still use a pillow under my knees even though my bed adjusts in a way to support my back. But I can move, turn and get up. I think the more he plays around with it, the more comfortable he will be. Best to get used to it now to avoid the fears that come with any new piece of equipment. I also think you should use it in front of him. That might give you both insight as to different positions and their comfort level.

I cannot sleep with my head elevated but most people can. My pillow is flat and I alternate between my back and side. I also use a heating pad set on low for my back.

Make sure he is comfortable with the mattress. I've had a time finding the right mattress, overlay, and pad but I'm happy now. Of course, this will all change when I get a hospital bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back