Other
Country
NL
State
Amsterdam
City
Ams
Hi everyone,

Am a 27y woman. It all began in June this year, when I was under a lot of stress due to lack of sleep and travel. I was tired most of the time, My left thumb started aching for unknown reasons and almost at the same time, I had some kind of un easy feeling in my left eye.

Initially I felt it was some kind of tingling in the eye or some foreign body, and also my left thumb pained when I took a deep breath and as always I googled! A huge mistake! It said it could be multiple sclerosis.

On I went to three different general physicians, In here there is a general feeling that the docs don't take you seriously unles you have collapsed. So all three docs said the thumb pain and eye problem was unrelated. It could be due to my nature of work with the computer keyboard. Of course I wasn't satisfied.

I went back to my country(India), there I visited another series of docs. I took a blood test and it revealed vit D deficiency and a high tsh of 12.5 with a normal free T3 and T4. My calcium levels were normal. I also went to a neurologist, he examined me and said these could be just related to thyroid and vit D def.

I started taking meds for thyroid and vit D and also multivitamin tablets as prescribed by the doc in India. this was in July.

Now I have developed a lot of twitching all over my body, even my lips and tongue. It twitches randomly and also after I cycle or carry something heavy, my left leg and hand twitches more. Also i have some trembling in fingers after carrying something heavy.

My thumb pain has reduced, and the discomfort in the eye was actually lower eyelid twitching and that is ok now.

However this twitching all over my body has caused me a lot of anxiety. All the general docs I have seen again have told me to ignore and carry on. I am back in the NL, I asked them to refer to neuro here, I have a consultation on Sep 10th. I am very scared. I don't know if he will give me a EMG(unlikely, I think) I have lost sleep over this. I have had panic attacks. My work has taken a beating. I would be really glad if someone could help.

I want to thank you all for this forum.

God bless.

The twitching after you started thyroid and vitamin D suggests you try titrating dosage in consultation with an internist in Amsterdam. With thyroid in particular, treating numbers instead of how you feel/respond can lead to what you describe.

You mention that previously you had stress due to travel and lack of sleep. If this is still true, that could compound any thyroid or D-related twitching.

There is no reason I see for an EMG or to fear ALS.

Best,
Laurie

Thank You for your reply!
I was stressing over this twitching issue. These days I avoid travel, am trying to get back to a balanced routine.
Hoping for some solutions when I see the neuro and the GP!

Hi Everyone,

I went to my neurologist yesterday.
she listened patiently to all my complaints, then she did the standard neurological tests. (walking on the toes, heels, etc) she checked my reflexes too and said it was high but that it wasn't uncommon. she couldn't find any signs of weakness.
She agreed I need to get my blood test done again to check for thyroid levels and that these fasciculations/tremble could be myoclonus.

I didn't press on for an emg or mri. My fasciculations are still present however. I have been to four general physicans and two neurologists and they can't seem to tell me why these fasciculations occur.

My anxiety has reduced a bit, although at times it comes back.
What do I do? Do I ask for additional tests?

Lady, did any of those doctors diagnose you with Benign Fasciculation Syndrome (BFS)?

As the name implies, it's benign. It isn't hurting anything.

The body does weird stuff, and sometimes we don't know why.

If it bothers you, see a therapist.

Thanks Mike for your reply! None of the docs say what this could be. They just suggest me to ignore and carry on. I live alone, I get pangs of fear, what if this twitching is just a sign of something more sinister and I get up one morning I can't move my fingers or legs.
I don't have a choice, They wouldn't do an EMG unless there are more symptoms.
But I want to thank all of you for patiently hearing out all the hypochondraics, I will come back If I have any updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back