Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
CO
City
Longmont
I’m a 21 year old female experiencing some scary things. Yes I’m very anxious. Yes I did Google when I shouldn’t have. But I’m just looking for answers. I have a neurology appointment in a month but I’m just wondering if these symptoms sound similar to others experiences. As of right now, my diagnoses are POTS and a slightly herniated disk in my neck. About 6 weeks ago I started getting intense fiery tingling in my shoulders down both arms. It was about a week of that, and one day I got this horrid migraine. The next day I woke up with barely any muscle use in my legs, arms, and face. I was vomiting and had high fever. Went to the hospital but they couldn’t find anything wrong. Over the course of the next few days I got better, but a few things have lingered for weeks. My pincher grasp on my right hand has become very difficult. Not necessarily unable to do things, but they require more force and focus it seems. It feels weak, but I’ve tested the strength and it seems normal. No atrophy that I can see. I just feel it intensely when I open door knobs, grab a pen, etc. I have numbness in my face still, slightly slurred words, and tongue fascinations. Both of my legs also feel weak and quite stiff, but more so on the right with the bad hand. Experiencing no muscle twitching, but some pain and odd nerve sensations.

I’m so scared I’m vomiting daily, I can’t sleep, can’t eat, and I’m barely taking care of myself. On google, all of my symptoms are congruent with ALS, but I know it’s more reliable to ask people to have been diagnosed and a neurologist (when appointment permits)

Thank you so much for your time. My prayers go out to everyone. I’m sorry for asking on here, I just desperately need a light.

I'm sorry you are so frightened. No, to be factual, your symptoms are not congruent with ALS. ALS is earmarked by function failure, which you do not have. All your other symptoms have nothing to do with ALS. Your symptoms are scary and intense for sure, but not ALS.

Have you been tested for covid? I honestly can't hazard a guess as to what is going on with you, nor should I. What has your GP said about your symptoms? I would expect that you've gone to your doc for an opinion and not just jumped straight to an ALS forum for answers, correct?

They’ve considered fibromyalgia but obviously I haven’t seen an actual neurologist yet.. did an MRI and it wasn’t MS. I’m just nervous. Thank you for your reply 💕 everything online said you can lose function slowly so I was super concerned about my grip

It sounds more likely systemic than neurologic. If your PCP isn't following up on this, it might be time for a new internist. But it could also be something that is passing, like a virus (Covid or otherwise), food poisoning, or a hyperventilation syndrome related to the POTS. If not already discussed, you might want to ask about trying a calcium channel or beta blocker after systemic and neurologic illnesses are ruled out.

Best,
Laurie

Truly doesn't match ALS in any way, I hope you get a diagnosis and help soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back