Not open for further replies.

Pumpkin54

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
As it’s the new year, I compelled myself to swallow my pride while I await my annual PCP Appt at the end of the month and try to talk myself off of the ledge.

Admittedly, I have a history of health anxiety but this bout has really challenged me. About three weeks ago I noticed a tingling, numb-ish feeling in my left foot that sometimes buzzes or vibrates, almost like someone is holding a cell phone to my foot. As the week went on, I realized that my right foot was feeling similar but then discovered while there was a mild tingling sensation, the muscles were twitching once or twice a minute. This has held steady for the last three weeks. Sometimes my left pinky and ring fingers will feel the numb sensation also, as well as the tip of my nose.

Both my left and right foot twitch very consistently, probably once a minute or so. I get other twitches throughout my body, but those seem unrelated to the constant barrage of twitches in the arches of my feet. In the last couple of days I have also noticed the arches are cramping, which is further concerning.

Do these localized twitches along with mild cramps indicate ALS? I have three young children at home and we just got a new puppy and I have been unable to pry my mind away from the thought that I might not be with them much longer. I feel very scared and every time I try to distract myself, another localized twitch in my foot brings me right back.

Thank you, I really appreciate it. Once the weekday starts I plan to try and track down and schedule an appointment with a neurologist, but I know that can take some time.

Adding that I am a 35F

Buzzing, tingling, numb- all sensory issues and not associated with ALS. Please make sure to read here: Read Before Posting to get the run down and answers to many of the questions that bring people here when they search for twitches online. I am sure your doctor will also provide you an exam that should allay your fears.

I suppose my concern was that the tingling and buzzing could be an odd expression of the muscle twitching? A lot of the time my left foot feels like it’s twitching or crawling internally but nothing can be seen.

I’ve also seen it mentioned here numerous times that ALS starts in one location, often a limb, and slowly progresses from there. That’s exactly what it feels like the twitching is done and now, to add to it, there is some slight cramping in my arches. And would the twitching be non-stop once it starts, or is once or twice a minute the equivalent of the muscle slowly wasting?

I can still run, work out and do all my regular day to day activities without issue.

Please make sure to read the linked post- it really does explain things. Once again, sensory issues point away from ALS.

If you feel the need to seek reassurance, it's best to visit with a doctor, as it's pretty clear you're struggling with this and are becoming very focused on ALS. Your statements about being unable to concentrate on caring for those who need you because of your preoccupation indicates a need to see your gp to get a handle on your health sooner rather than later.

Tingling, buzzing, and twitching are a bothersome combo, but not ALS. Consider a new exercise regimen -- there are lots of YouTube vids, etc. and you can work out at home. Long stretches and just keeping it moving throughout the day can really help.

Tip of your nose is often allergies or dry conditions. You can amp up the humidification in your home or use a dry mouth/throat spray, and/or drink more water/juice.

Best,
Laurie

Truly, no you don't have a single ALS symptom. You have been given a post to read, and terminally ill people took a lot of time to create it so that we can help people like you.
But you need to read it carefully, then you need to go talk to your doctor and get help.
I wish you the very best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back