Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
NY
City
Scotland
Hi all, I'm so sorry if I'm taking up anyone's time, I promise to just post this the once!

In June, I noticed that when I bent my toes, they were shaking quite a bit. I put it down to not being very active throughout lockdown and left it be, going on some more walks to try and improve it. July, it hadn't gotten any better, so I went to my doctor who said it was probably sciatica. I done all the exercises, I went for massages to help, nothing. Around August, I noticed my tongue would shake if I stuck it out (I know tongue fasciculations only happen at rest, but my tongue was contracting all kindsa ways when it was out), I told my GP and they said it was just anxiety, so I carried on as normal. I recently started taking vitamin d tablets (I'm in the UK, thought it'd be a good idea for winter), and the tongue shaking has subsided a little, but now my toes on both feet are twitching all by themselves, inwards, constantly. It happens 24/7. I went to A&E (I know, I'm sorry, I was scared), and they done an mri of my lower back, nothing came up, they said it could just be an inflamed nerve for which they've referred me for physio, and that all my strength was fine. I've started citalopram now to try and lessen my anxiety about it, but I just wanted to ask, since no one is actually 100% sure what could be causing my toes to twitch all the time, does this sound like something I should bother my GP with, and ask for a neurology referral?

Sorry to bother you all x

Hi Aria-

This post has a lot of information and addresses the common things that bring people here after they search for twitching, etc: Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms

You may be getting shaking and twitching mixed up as you use them interchangeably. With regards to seeking a neurology referral- that would be up to your doctor. There are plenty of different reasons for shaking, etc, and a neurological issue is not always the cause. Your doctor can tell you which route to take to get to the bottom of your issues if they are still causing you concern. With regards to ALS, there is a very specific pattern of symptoms that indicates a concern there (not just twitching) and it sounds like this is not your case. Sadly, Dr Google directs people to ALS as soon as they search for "twitching" and it's caused 99.9% of the people who do so unneeded concern.

Also for others who follow this sub-forum

Thousands of Americans have falsely convinced themselves they have a
serious disease, after turning to 'Dr Google' – according to new research.

Instead of alleviating concerns, 74 percent of those who have self-diagnosed
online searching for their symptoms made them worry more about their health.

That is due to the answers given by Dr Google, of internet medical advice,
was found by researchers to be misleading without proper evaluation by a
a qualified physician.

Sixty-five percent of respondents who used the internet to self-diagnose themselves
the results show typing your symptoms into the search bar might do more harm...
than good

Last edited:
Hi guys

Thank you so much for taking the time out to answer, I really appreciate it!

With regards to using shaking and twitching interchangeably, apologies for that, my tongue seems to shake, as if it's weak, it doesn't do it at rest though so I'm maybe just being a little crazy about it, I'll try and not dwell on that.

The recent toe twitching however has just really concerned me, as you see so many differing things on the internet. I've read the sticky, and seeing that twitching usually comes after other symptoms is reassuring, but then you see elsewhere that it doesn't, and I just get a little anxious, but hopefully the citalopram helps, I'm sorry for wasting your time!

Just in your own opinions (obviously you aren't doctors, but I just appreciate hearing from people experienced with this), if I have the toe twitching, but can still tiptoe/walk on my heels/bend them/walk alright etc, there's not much to worry about? Yet again, I'm so sorry for potentially wasting your time, your comments above have greatly helped me, so thank you x

I'm hoping you've read through the above provided link thoroughly, as it contains information that you should find reassuring. It was written so the folk here didn't have to keep repeating the same things to everyone that comes here asking about twitching. If you have further questions about your own symptoms, it's probably best to ask your own healthcare provider, as an important part of medical care is clinical examinations. If you speak with your own gp, they have your health history and can detect any changes that might be concerning. Til then, anything else is just speculation on your part based on internet research and fears of ALS.

Please take care of yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back