Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Virginia
City
Bristol
Hey everyone, im new, 30 year old male, and just really need someone to talk to about this. So i went to the doctor maimly because my muscles seem to start hurting quickly when doing tasks sometimes. Also general fatigue. I wouldnt call it a weakness because i never am unable to lift objects, its just a matter of the muscles kind of burning or hurting. Its not like this everyday though, somedays i seem just fine and others it can be worse, like sometimes my shoulders will start to burn when im browsing clothes racks.

She then referred me to a neurologist who said that she needed to do a nerve conduction study and bloodwork. My bloodwork came back ok it seems, they checked thyroid, 3 kinds of creatine, and b12. They said the b12 was ok, but a lower score. Around 320.

I then did the EMG test with both of my legs. She saod everything looked good except for a slight neuropathy in my calves she said. This immediately sent me into a long list of panic triggers since i already have anxiety and panic. I was shocked because they really didnt feel any different from usual. She asked me to bend my foot up at one point, but the pain from the needle prevented me from doing so. Im not sure if this messed with the test. Now after the test, im starting to notice a cramp feeling.... not really a cramp, but that sensation before one. They never actually cramp, it just feels like its about to. Sometimes my big toe does this as well. This never happened before the test.

I had never really heard of ALS up until now and im terrified. Now with every little feeling i have it send me back into my younger years when i had crippling anxiety and depression.

Could this be ALS? I seen my primary doctor and she did reassure me its extremely unlikely, but i just wanted to hear from people who know what its like. I dont have amy twitching, burning, pins and needles or numbness. Im generally pretty coordinated. No muscle stiffness. Like i said just that pain that comes quickly. And its not even everyday. Some days i feel almost fine.

Thank you so much for your time.

Last edited:
It doesn’t sound like it. If you will post your ncs and emg we could probably comment better. Please remove any identifying data first

Here is the only paperwork I was sent about the blood work. I never got anything about the emg other than what she told me. I spoke to the medical record department and i will hopefully be able to get the results in the morning.

Attachments

• 20180603_195218.jpg
    20180603_195218.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 391
  • 20180603_195132.jpg
    20180603_195132.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
Being old and of poor eyesight I was unable to make out your EMG/NCV. Having said that , reading your post I see nothing that jumps out as ALS. You've been diagnosed with neuropathy. There are a myriad of causes of neuropathy. Can we tell you what it is? NO. We are not doctors and all we really know is ALS. I would encourage you to figure out what you have with your doctors.

Vincent

Vincent, he has only posted his blood work so far, with the EMG to follow.

Crusader, a "slight neuropathy" is a long way from ALS and likely the only action required is considering a stretching routine in the morning! It is normal for the test, esp. given you are already on the anxious side, to make you hyper-aware of everyday feelings, or to conjure up feelings where there is still nothing wrong.

Post the EMG report when you get it, but the odds are tremendously in your favor, that you have nothing at all wrong, and you have said nothing related to early symptoms of ALS.

Best,
Laurie

All the blood tests you posted are normal. :)

Thanks for the kind words everyone, it really does help. Ive had this problem for years, its never gotten worse and thats what keeps me sane sometimes. The hospital said they would email me the report in the morning. Ill post it then.

I still just wonder if maybe i messed up the test by not being able to pull my foot up from the pain? I explained to her when she told me to that i couldnt move it up because of the pain from the needle in my calf.

Here are the results I got from the study.

Attachments

• 20180604_161302.jpg
    20180604_161302.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 262
  • 20180604_161334.jpg
    20180604_161334.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 261
  • 20180604_161433.jpg
    20180604_161433.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 239
Your EMG which is what matters in ALS was completely normal. The abnormalities were in the nerve conduction section and involved the sensory ( feeling) nerves in your calves. This has absolutely no relation to ALS

Congratulations. You don’t have ALS symptoms and your EMG confirms it

Best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back