Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
us
State
PENNSYLVANIA
City
pennsylvania
Thank you in advance for your help. I am a 56 year old woman. I have been terrified of ALS for several months and am looking for some information regarding how this disease would affect feet.

I am getting a lot of pain in my arches, especially if I attempt to jog. My feet and/or toes will also cramp up if I attempt to point my toes. I also have almost constant, random twitches in both of my feet in the arch/ankle area. It will be a faint pop here, then a pop a few inches away, then in another spot, etc... It feels tingly but I see the twitches hopping around when I look at my feet. It really happens almost all the time and is really worrying me. It started in one foot and now is in both feet.

I started with pain in my arches back in September and actually thought I had developed Plantars Faciitis. I attributed it to having started Pilates a few months prior so gave my feet a rest. I had pain when walking but now it is just when I attempt to jog.

Twitching started in early November in the feet and shortly after I also started getting frequent, isolated twitches in both legs (several per minute) and less frequently in other locations, arms, one hand, butt, back, lip... It is mostly a pop here and there but on occasion the twitching has stayed in the one spot (shoulder muscle and lip) for almost a day.

If muscle atrophy occurs would it cause pain like I describe in the arches because there is no support? I can jump up stairs and walk on tippy toes and heels. My feet at the ankles look boney with indents (more on right than left) so I'm afraid of atrophy. I am a twitchy mess and have really allowed this to ruin my life due to fear.

I saw my pcp on 12/24 who did basic strength testing and reflex testing. He said it was normal and he had no reason to suspect ALS. He did not look at my feet, legs, etc... but said he would send me for an EMG to alleviate my fears but I just don't want to find out I have ALS since I am not strong enough to deal with that diagnosis. I would rather live in fear with some hope instead of with the knowledge that I had ALS and no hope for recovery.

I went back to the gym 10 days ago after quitting 1.5 years ago and my strength on the machines seems normal, but maybe slightly weaker on my dominant leg. I thought it would give me reassurance over the weeks to see my strength stay steady. The pain when I attempt to jog is worrisome to me though.

Can anxiety cause almost non-stop twitching in both feet? All over the body for months? In the hand?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you are having pain with jogging, you should see a podiatrist. You might need new insoles or more pre-jog stretching. Hardly worth spending your life in fear.

Anxiety makes twitches worse, for sure, but many benign causes, not all of them traceable, cause them in the first place. Don't hold your life hostage to this. See a counselor about your anxiety if it keeps you from enjoying your activities.

I don't see any indication of ALS in what you post.

Best,
Laurie

Need to Prepare for Worse - EMG Today

I am absolutely petrified of what the EMG will show this afternoon. I saw my PCP a month ago for months long twitching; pretty constantly in feet and sporadic pops elsewhere. PCP did strength test and reflexes and saw no reason to think ALS but given my anxiety suggested EMG to put me at ease. The EMG is this afternoon and I am so afraid of what it will show and am on the verge of cancelling because I may just do better not knowing if the news is bad. I started getting a vibrating feeling down my left leg and I'm afraid of what that will show on the EMG in addition to visible twitches in feet and popping twitches still happening several a minute. With those things, is it a definite that I will have a 'dirty' EMG?? Reading some of posts on this site, it seems I should be ready for an abnormal result with possible followup test?? Could they say right there that they suspect ALS?? I don't know if I can handle that. Yes, a clean emg will totally put to rest my fear of ALS but a dirty one will send me deeply down the rabbit hole. I am going to a Physical Medicine Dr and scared out of my mind.

Please stay on one thread. Refer to the important post at the top of this subforum read before posting. The posting rules are there as is imformation that should reassure you.

Laurie already stated there is nothing in your symptoms that would make on suspect ALS. I agree.

There are often little glitches seen on emgs that doesn’t mean any danger of ALS. If they tell you no ALS believe them. I think they will.

And yes sometimes you get results right away. Bad and good. I was told while still lying on the table. So was my sister. But sometimes policy does not allow the emg doctor to tell you anything. Do not let that panic you.

Thank you Nikki and Laurie. After I posted my second question I reread the sticky (for some peace of mind) but noticed my violation. Sorry. I appreciate your reassurance as the vibrating is now in both legs and feet along with the twitches. Will see what the EMG brings this afternoon.

As others have said, your service to others in need shows a tremendous outpouring of care given what you are dealing with every day. The comfort you bring to others is priceless. Heartfelt thanks:)

I'm sorry to be back. I had am emg of my legs and all was normal. My strength test and reflexes also normal. The one caveat is when the doctor looked at my tongue she said it was twitching. She asked if I was nervous and of course I said yes. She moved on. So I had a normal physical exam, nerve conduction of legs and emg of legs. I was so relieved and had a good day yesterday. Today when I was flossing I noticed my tongue quivering. All day today I was checking my tongue and it quivers when I stick it out. What lead me to the emg was twitching in my feet continuously and all over body twitching. Nothing to do with bulbar region. Now the tongue twitching has me very anxious. My tongue seems to have normal strength but it does quiver when I stick it out. If resting in my mouth it seems pretty calm but I can't stick it out without it quivering. I really wanted to put this fear to rest and am now ramped up again because of the Dr's observation of my tongue!!! What should I do? Yes, I was nervous for the exam but the quivering is persisting even though I am at home and relaxed.

It is normal for a tongue to quiver when sticking out. And even at rest tongue twitches are like any other benign if nothing else is found. This is all addressed in the sticky you read

Congratulations on your normal exam and emg

Congrats on being cleared of ALS as per clinical exam, EMG and no ALS symptoms. Yay! I do hope you'll be grateful for this good news as anyone here would have loved to have been given such a wonderful gift of health.

Good luck to yiu and take good care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back