00/0000
Country
US
State
FL
City
New Port Richey
Hey guys!
I’m sure you get this all the time as i can tell by the threads that are posted . But here’s my worry ....
My dad died this past January from als at 68. I’m worried sick that i have the symptoms and here’s why .

In February it’ll be 2 years with muscle twitches . I went and say a neurologist that may and he gave me the exam and checked over everything. I told him i was getting muscle twitches all over and that my left hand and shoulder felt weaker and different then my right . I am right handed so i don’t know if it usually attacks dominate side first.

He had me do an EMG that July and said it was clean except for CTS and i believe that because my wrist pops constantly.

Fast forward to this past week , I’ve had a burning /pain feel in my left shoulder and it feels weak again along with my left hand . It seemed like my twitches subsided for a while until recently again. I kkow stress can bring on the twitches along with anxiety but having the arm stuff happening is really flipping me out. If i hold my arms striaghtviut my left hand /fingers will shake a little. Don’t know if that’s from CTS or not .

I’m just worried sick about it but i don’t think if it was ALS I’d be able to drop down and know out 20 push-ups on my finger tips or be able to carry heavier stuff . Or is that possible? Thanks for helping in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Very sorry to hear about your dad. Your situation does not sound like ALS.

As you say, stress and anxiety can easily magnify what you are experiencing, but just like anything else, if it worsens, you can check in with your doc. Massage, stretching, range of motion exercises, sleep and stress are things you can work on to alleviate the pain, not to mention making sure that you are sitting and working ergonomically.

Best,
Laurie

It’s just scary having that weakness in the shoulder and then twitches as they always put the 2 together with als . I go back to the doc on the 26th just for a reassurance checkup and to help ease my mind once again . I was also thinking that i sleep on that shoulder every night and i know they say that’s the worst for a shoulder/arm. I’m hoping that’s part of the contribution and causing the fatigue feeling and burn/pain.

Could be time to update your pillow or mattress. Consider latex.

My shoulder and hand just don’t feel the same on my left as it does in my right right . It feels different. It feels weaker but with me being able to do push-ups i don’t think that would be possible if i has it. And the twitching seems to be more on that arm but they are also still all over. I’m really hoping it’s just an old injury showing up along with CTS As i was told of having it . Is it possible to of had the emg done to early ? It was probably 3-4 months after twitching started and it was done on my left side when i initially said it was bothering me

I’m truly just worried sick still because i read the horror stories about an EMG being done to soon. But the only confidence i have in it not being als is that even though my shoulder feels weak i can still carry my son for a little in my arm who’s 32lbs and i can carry a tool at work that’s probably 40-50 pounds with this arm. Could it still possibly be it or do i just have a fatigue shoulder that’s causing the twitches to act up more in that arm . ?

Reflect that if your arm supports fingertip pushups, carrying your 32 lb son, and using tools that are 40-50 lb that the EMG was not done too soon, and you do not have ALS. Then reflect how these capabilities sound to people who actually have or take care of those with ALS.

Another fact: if your dad had a genetic form of ALS, others in your family would have had it, and you would be at risk at a similar age as his onset, not as young as you are.

Go in peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back