Diagnosis
11/2010
Country
US
State
KY
City
Crescent Springs
To paraphrase Patsy Cline’s Satin Sheets to Lie On, I would add, Satin Cases to Slide On.

I can't take credit for discovery as I was told by another caregiver, "Use Satin Pillowcases" to more easily facilitate sliding on a transfer board. My daughter went and bought a cheap set of satin pillowcases and the first time I used it, I was overwhelmed with how easily I could slide on the transfer board. As you know by now, it has an impossible task to transfer (bare butt) on a transfer board, but with a satin pillowcase tucked neatly under me, sliding across the transfer board is as easy as can be. (Or, so I thought,) Until a family friend gave us a set of red pillowcases (a set from a wedding present). It was then I learned that the speed of the slide is directly proportionate to the quality of the pillowcase.

I hope that this can be a useful bit of information for someone who is having difficulty with a transfer board.

(One more thing) When using the more expensive satin pillowcase, the angle of the transfer board is critical, as too steep an angle can launch you completely past your destination.
s

Smooth sliding and stay safe! It's so easy to overshoot with a slippery bottom!

Great advise , Thanks!

We used a longer piece of slippery fabric to move him from wc to couch. You hang about 10" out under the pals in the direction you need to move. The longer end goes over the thighs. The cals gets between the couch and wc or on the couch. By pulling on the btm and the top fabric you slide the pals over a transfer board to the couch. This works very well as arms become weaker, added bonus no wedges when your pants hit the couch and you need to move to the cushion center. Penny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back