Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
Alberta
City
Calgary
Hello everyone. I apologize for posting a new thread, by my previous one titled "Strange Symptoms" has closed. To summarize the last thread, I had asked whether anyone had ever heard of ALS presenting with fibrillations on the face, and bilateral, transient weakness throughout the body. You answered no. I also noted that I'm battling through elevated blood serum readings of vitamin B6.

To update the past few months, I still have body-wide twitching and minor atrophy in my thumbs (mostly right hand), but I still have no difficulty in performing any task that I would have done years ago, apart from having periodic tremors in my thumbs when I hold a remote control. However, I've recently noticed that my gluteal muscles have completely disappeared (just plain gone, massive inward curvature, very similar to what you'd see if you googled gluteal atrophy). I have (what I think) is some bursitis in my right hip, likely as a result.

Now other than chasing/picking up after my 2 and 4 year olds, I don't work out in the slightest, and I have a full-time desk job (I guess I'm not as indestructible as I was back in my 20s and early 30s). Now from what I've read on this forum and elsewhere, I don't think I've ever heard of ALS first appearing in the gluteal region, and certainly not being symmetrical. I do get twitching in this area, but nonetheless, I can still go up/down stairs, lift my kids, etc.

Would I be correct in assuming that this is not consistent with the onset of ALS? I'll have my PCP look things over next week. I still have 1 to 3 months left to wait for my EMG.

Mike

You are correct. We haven't heard anything to worry about, then or now.
To that point, your username could be construed negatively by P/CALS then and now, as well.

Stop back by with your EMG results, please, and not before.

As mentioned in your previous thread, no, nothing you've posted sounds like ALS. If your doctor thought that you had symptoms showing, you'd be in much faster to see a neurologist for an EMG.

For the record, I'm one of those CALS that construes your handle negatively. You don't have ALS, so don't put that you do in your handle name because it reads like you do. Don't know if you're trying to say "with" or "wth?".

Last edited:
Thank you for your comments. I have great respect for this forum, moderators, and all of the PALS/CALS, and I did not mean to offend anyone with the username. I will no longer post under this name, and if the moderators have no objection, I would like to start a new account (I can't seem to find any option to change the existing username).

I won't post again until my EMG results are in. As a quick update, I saw my PCP today and he seemed concerned with the atrophy, and had my requisition updated to include my gluteal region. I hope to have some answers soon.

Thank you, and God bless.

I will no longer post under this name, and if the moderators have no objection, I would like to start a new account.

Do NOT crank up another user name, period.
The damage is done, that would only confuse things.

I won't post again until my EMG results are in.

Good. Good luck. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back