Reason
Other
Country
US
State
NY
City
larchmont
Great news for Sammantha. Posting on here for all of those who dont venture to the general posts and may have missed this. Sammantha's neuro now says she does NOT have ALS after all! Amazing news. Congratulations Sammantha. Hopefully they will now find out what is really causing the atrophy.

good news, Sam! we can use more of this type of news around here! We celebrate with you in spirit! Cindy

Mmn?

Hey mamaoftwo,

Did they ever consider MMN? It stands for multifocal motor neuropathy. T's doctor was hoping that was what T had, but it turned out to not be true in her case. MMN is treatable, and is often misdiagnosed as ALS. Catching it early is key because the damage it does cannot be fixed, but it can be stopped from doing further damage. Her neuro had T do an IVIG treatment, which is the typical treatment for MMN. Some people only have to do it once, others might have to do it many times, but at least it has a treatment. Please read about it if you can, I found a lot of stuff online about it, and was hopeful that it was what T had. The symptoms were twitching and muscle atrophy, I can't remember all the details because it was over a year ago that I was reading about it. I hope for Samantha that MMN is the problem.

God bless,
Pam

Great news Samantha!

That is awesome! I am wondering..how do they diagnose this? Can they treat for it just in case?

I went over one of my EMG's with my new one. It turns out that the two muscles they tested the second time were the exact same ones that showed no abnormalities on my first test. My thighs left and right (vast medialis) had 2+ psw 2- amp and 1+ recruitment pattern. R and L tib anterior had 1+ psw 1+ amp. My L and R peron longus had 1+ psw 1+ amp and 1+ recruitment pattern. My L ext hall long had 1+ psw and 2+amp. The right had 1+psw. L bic fem head had 2+ psw and 2- amp. R was normal. L deltoid had 1+ psw and 1+amp R deltoid had 1+fib and 2+ amp. L and R biceps had 2+fibs, 2+psw, 2+amp and 1+ recruitment pattern. L flex carpi uln had 1+psw, 1+amp. R gasrtocn med had 1+fib and 1+amp. That was my first EMG, the second EMG he tested my Left Gastrocn med, and my Left Tricep. They were normal even though he took three hours to test them and they sounded like a helicopter the whole time. Guess what, they were normal on my last test too. They did not test any of the other muscles to see if there was damage or improvement. Like doc said, no matter what muscle is tested if it were ALS it would be abnormal...... So what is it? Has anyone had test results like these with brisk reflexes? I am glad it is not ALS but i would like to know what it is... Thanks Sam.

Hi,

Pam...Never Give UP, suggested MMN. I have DX of either "Atypical ALS or MMN." I am being treated for MMN and it seems to help (began Jan 2007). I have had symptoms since at least 2002 and my finger and hand muscles still have atrophy but I can move my finger a bit to the right now. My EMG was abnormal for the three limbs tested, with only one borderline conduction block. I do not fit either diagnosis completely. The treatment is a way to test to see if I have MMN or ALS and it is "leaning toward MMN" as I have some response and feel best the first week after treatment. (once every two weeks).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back