Diagnosis
12/2012
Country
ire
State
coolough rd galway
City
carraig ban
Thick saliva , anybody any suggestions for thick ropy saliva , my husband has lost his speech and can no longer swallow and is PEG fed, which is going well for him , but awful problems with his mouth, if anyone has any remedy for this I would be forever grateful,
Josephine

I am having the same problem now. I have tried Celestial Tension Tamer tea, water, and now white wine. Not much luck, but two glasses of the wine seems to help the panic.

Don't have any ideas for constant problems with it, mine just seems to occur after I brush my teeth and I use a suction machine to suck it all out

I'm using the green sponge on a stick that's been dipped in 30% mouth wash / 70% water. Keep a few sitting in the refrigerator soaking in the mixture.

>I'm using the green sponge on a stick that's been dipped in 30% mouth wash / 70% water. Keep a few sitting in the refrigerator soaking in the mixture

that is a good idea ... I have been trying a toothbrush in the Listerine bottle, but it's not enough mouthwash.

Try mucinex four times a day and papaya enzyme pills under the tongue if you can't swallow, if you can swallow just chew them. Thins the thick stuff out, I got mine at rite aid,

My husband has been prescribed Elavil, which did dry up his secretions, but left him very tired all day. He also used prescription Atropine drops which worked well for the saliva, but caused other side effects. I believe both of these prescriptions have been successful for many PALS, however. Unfortunately, my husband seems to be very sensitive to medications, but hopefully these will work for some of you.

Just given another approach by the wonderful nurse-educator at our ALS clinic: any brand of Benylin-type cough syrup with expectorant. Use up to one tablespoon 3 times daily. You can start with a small amount and adjust as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back