PALS
Diagnosis
02/2018
Country
US
State
VA
Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd see what everyone is takening for salvia. What seems to work best? Any side effects with any of them? Also any natural tips in addition? I use a lot of honey and lemon...and tea of course. Musinex?

When do you seem to have it the most? I am waking up with it, try to sleep with my head propped up. Have had it for awhile but it's getting a lot worse. And now I am having a hard time eating, so I need to get on something. Not sure if that will help or if I am moving towards a Peg Tube. I notice right after I eat it acts up, I guess the body's normal way of helping us swallow and digest.

Thanks so much ;)

excess saliva? Drooling? That you need to dry up? My sister had good luck with Robinul. Others scopalamine. Some have gone to botox. Ask your neurologist

I used to use Atropine at night and that helped but I started having headaches. Many people have had success with cannabis. My saliva and mucus have been a lot easier to manage since going to 100 % tube feeding, especially no dairy. having a feeding tube before you really need it is always a good thing.

Hi Nikki & Nona,

Thanks for your imput. I'm not currently drooling as of now. It seems to have just gotten thicker and more excessive. I've heard good things about Robinul. Yes, it's progressing at a faster speed I believe, and you are right about having a feeding tube ahead of time. I'm just waiting to hear back from my physcian. Interesting that cannabis helps, I will look into that. I was loving my cbd oil and it was helping my legs calm down so I could sleep. But I think it made me dizzy, may just be the ALS.

Do you have a bipap at night with humidification?

I struggled with excess saliva for months with coughing and choking. I tried Atropine drops and that worked but made it difficult to swallow food and i was parched at night. The nurse at the ALS Clinic suggested a better solution is to keep your saliva thin by staying well hydrated and by using a saline nebulizer if required. this has made my life so much easier because I only have to deal with ALS now!

As Nona was asking, regarding the bipap. I use a bipap 24/7 going on two years. I was using the humidifier on the bipap for the first 8 months, but found things were just too congested/moist. Even had excess fluid in my chest. I was so worried about getting enough humidity from all the bipap user recommendations that I waited too long before I went without. I stopped all humidification and things have been working really well ever since. I drink 2 cups of coffee and 1.5 liters of water per day. Nose/sinuses are not dry. I live in Southern California which is pretty dry.

It's a good point that there is no one-size-fits-all BiPAP humidification. Climate, your home environment, diet and your past/present levels of hydration all play in, not to mention your mask and tubing setup. Sometimes just increasing or dropping tubing length can help.

Great tips :)

I am trying to watch my hydration, I am guiltly of drinking too much caffeine at times. I noticed when I went to the ocean this summer for a long vacation, it went away almost completely. I would try to go sit at the ocean deck and breath deep. A saline nebulaizer sounds perfect for me right now while I am still learning more about the Bipap. Almost as good as the ocean! haha ;) The winter dry heat doesn't help I'm sure. I will have to find my diffuser as well, frankincense oil is suggested for ALS, among others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back