Diagnosis
1/2013
Country
US
State
Iowa
City
Cedar Rapids
For those who have taken saliva drugs, have you had any or many adverse effects?

I take over-the-counter Mucinex extended-release, and the tizanidine that I take for muscle spasms does a pretty good job of controlling the saliva. I'm slow progression so it's not a major problem for me yet. I talked my pulmonologist and she doesn't like any of the drugs that dry up the saliva, she prefers to thin it. I have no swallowing problems so lots of water. Good luck. I know some people use radiation and some people use Botox. I'm sure you'll get some good advice from others further along the process than I am

I have had a type of Botox injected twice with good results to decrease saliva and drooling. The procedure is a little uncomfortable but worth it. It takes a week to work fully and lasts two to three months. They start out with a smaller dose and then increase it to last longer.

Hello.. my husband is 5 years in this... he takes Robinal for drooling.. he said one of the side effects is it dries up the bottom side too.. meaning constipation. he also gets Botox 3-4 times a year in the salivary glands...

Amitriptyline is a safe drug that can be used to dry the mouth up in saliva issues.
Its a common prescription medication you can get from gp.

I use atropine drops under the tongue and haven't noticed any side effects. There are medication evaluations from PALS over at the patients like me website.

I took pyrrsomething, and it made my vision blurry, and it was difficult to pee. It was awful. I felt like i needed a new glasses prescription for a week until i connected that to the new medication.

Are injections in the salivary glands painful?

My PALS has the opposite problem, in that his mouth gets really dry. I know it has a lot to do with his sip & puff ventilator, as we tend to breath through our nose which humidifies air. We are getting a humidifier for it, but his ViPAP has a humidifier and even with the humidity turned up really high he says that his tongue feels like a dry piece of bark in his mouth in the morning. We even had a humidifier installed on our central air system this winter, which has helped a bit but I feel bad for him.

A trial that is recruiting that treats heavy saliva:

A Phase 3, Multicenter, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Single-Treatment Efficacy and Safety Study of MYOBLOC® (Part A) Followed by Open-Label, Multiple-Treatment With MYOBLOC® (Part B) in the Treatment of Troublesome Sialorrhea in Adult Subjects

Amitriptyline is a safe drug that can be used to dry the mouth up in saliva issues.
Its a common prescription medication you can get from gp.

Have you found any problem with it? Do you get too dry?

I have dry mouth. Biotene works for me...oral rinse in mornings...gum at night, keep in mouth all night

My Barney uses amitriptyline and has found it to work quite well and had no side effects. His biggest problem is with not being able to close his lips and not being able to control the liquids (pureed soups, smoothies, water etc.) After every mouth full he looses some of it.
Hugs
Linda

I have dry mouth. Biotene works for me...oral rinse in mornings...gum at night, keep in mouth all night

Thank you for this tip! :razz:

I got Biotene mouth wash. In the morning it helps easing the pills down the gullet and at night it keeps my throat from becoming uncomfortably parched. Understand Biotene makes chewable tablets, but these are not readily available here.

Hi forester.
No I don't use it for saliva issues per say,i was prescribed it along with baclofen for pain.
But many pals do use it for saliva issues with no problem.

Intresting facts ....its also used as a med for alcoholics as it dampens there need to drink,wondered why I no longer liked to drink anymore.
Also it can increase weight which may be a good thing for some pals...my weight increased by 1stone just taking 2 tablets.

Unless you suffer from hypotention which these can increase (I do so can now only take 1 tablet a day) then there ok.

They are typically used as an antidepressant at higher doses of 60mg (6x10mg tabs) or more
so they are a mulit-function medication.
As I said your gp can prescribe them as they are a very common med.

Last edited:
Thanks Olly! I didn't know Amitriptyline is used for alcoholism and has that effect, but it explains why my PALS refuses any alcohol offered now! He was never a big drinker, but he would joke about when he gets the peg he can have a good swig of rum put down and things like that, but always says no to any alcohol offered.

Interesting!

He takes 20mg nightly, but it was prescribed to help with depression, so I'm interested too that you say it is usually higher doses needed for that. I feel it has settled his ftd to some degree, taken the edge off you might say.

If it is helping reduce his saliva I am thrilled because he has way too much thick saliva now, I'd hate it to be worse!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back