Status
Not open for further replies.
you may have heard of this before as there are many sites with this on it,

but there may be a connection with mercury as a cause

many years ago I had mercury amalgams put in and within three weeks I woke up with a swollen tongue,
after a few months that went down but for years I had really bad difficulty in swallowing, even liquid , or just plain gulping,
I considered the cause might be the fillings then thought that was a silly Idea as the health service woould not put something into a persons body that would harm them,

years later I found out about the mercury vapors that come off them from the television and news,

I still have them in and am tryng to get them all safley replaced with non toxic materials,

as conformation of my fears I told my brother about this being the cause of my problems,
and he reminded me that a few years ago he had the newer fillings in and they were fine,

but as a rear moler on his left jaw was broken , the dentist put in a mercury filling, because she said it may have to come out anyway , and was using the cheaper amalgam in case it was later extracted,

well his tongue swelled up on that side at the back just by that mercury filling,

he thought it may have a rough edge or something that was causing it,

he also had the same metallic taste that I had when my fillings were fisrst put in,
his daughter complained about his dribbling when they were out in his car,

and he was always apologising for spittle coming out of his mouth ,
and had difficulty in speaking properly due to his tongue being swollen on one side,

this carried on for the couple of months until he went back to the dentist, and she said it had to come out,

once the mercury filling was removed the swelling in his tongue went down and the dribbling stopped,
he has not had any problems since,

where as my problems flare up regulary, but not so bad because of the vitamins and minerals I take that help soak up the mercury and pass it out of my system,

a few of these are selinium, zinc, vit B's, vit C, and vit E, in fack all the anti oxidents help,
also foods that contain sulper, like cabbages broccoli onions garlic, eggs ect,

up to 80% of the mercury vapor that comes of the mercury amalgams is absorbed by the body when taken into the lungs

have a look in google for mercury amalgams and other names for it in google,

the university of calgary has an interesting film of the effects of mercury on brain cells, there is nothing gory in the film they use a microscopic bit of animal tissue

the double whammy is they used a form of mercury in vaccinations as a preservative,
so multiple vaccinations can give you a really big dose of it,

there are reports that Sickle Cell was virtually unknown untill the introduction of the amalgams,

and autism appeard after the vaccines were preserved with the mercury containing preservative,

take a look at the side effect of mercury and mercury amalgams and vaccines on the web,

I hope this helps someone,

Hi Al
I started off with a small amount of mucous which seemed to be collected at the back of my throat and it gradually built up. After a couple of months, during sleep and initial waking up my mouth and tongue felt unbelievably dry as if I had taken a walk in the desert, just as you decribe.

As time went by I started getting headaches in the morning. My wife who is fortunately a nurse, pointed out that I no longer snored and she had noticed that when I slept I was breathing predominately through my mouth, this she pointed out was a principle cause of dryness of the mouth. After undergoing a sleep study, it was determined that during sleep, my C02 level roses quite high. The consultant offered me choice of whether to use a Bi-pap machine or not. I must admit I was a bit surprised at his position, he is after all the expert and I expected him to make the recommendation.

Anyway I elected to go for it, at the moment I can only manage 3-4 hours with the full mask, afterwards I have a good drink of fluids. I now find that my mouth, when I wake up properly is not so dry, the mucous is minimal if any and best of all no headaches and I am quite lively through the day. I have to watch the sleeping though, too much without the machine and I am like a bear with sore head. Hope my experience is of some help

Hi John. I too wake up with a bad case of the Dry's. My lips stick to my teeth some nights. I usually keep a cup similar to a hospital cup with a straw in it next to the bed. When I wake up I can slip the staw under the bottom of the full face mask and take water that way. Swish it around and I don't really completely wake up. Saves having to take the mask off and sitting up. I can't breathe at all lying down with out the Bipap. I take Amytriptyline to dry up secretions but haven't found the perfect balance. I use a humidifier on my Bipap also. Too low and I'm dry, too high and my nose runs for the first 2 or 3 hours I am up. Still working on that balance too. Just more of the fun things about this stupid disease.
I get the build up of phlem in my lower throat and it sometimes takes quite a while of coughing to get it up. I just keep hacking until it comes. Fun wow. Some people look at you like you're going to cough up a lung but I just tell them it's part of the disease.

Hello - my wife was diagnosed with Bulbar ALS in Nov. 2002 and currently uses Robinul (Glycopyrrolate) by injection and well as amitriptyline to control saliva. The amitriptyline didn't seem to do too much but the Robinul works very well. It is given subcutaneously through a port when she feels like she needs one.

Welcome Bouter to our forum. Thanks for your contribution, it's good to see so many new faces (or names) around here!

8) :p i have bulbar als and i found radiation treatmnent on the saliva glands worked well for decreasing my over abundance of the stuff. i wanted to try the botox injections but was unsure as to cost/success rate. thanks to everyone for the tips there are more then a few i have not tried.

my remedy for keeping my mouth "shut" so i don't wake up with the desert tongue is i use a headband, put it over the crown of my head and under my chin area. this keeps it closed but is very comfortable and allows nose breathing easily. i do not use a bi-pap, but my jaw will slack open. perhaps this will help someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back