Diagnosis
02/2018
Country
US
State
RI
City
East Greenwich
My husband received a letter from his insurance company advising him Riluzole will have a higher copay. They encouraged him to speak to his doctor about his current medication and whether a lower cost alternative might be right for him. Am I missing something.....there isn't an alternative....is there????????

That’s a standard insurance company line.
Often, the doctor can write a letter of medical necessity to appeal to the insurance company to cover it.

The “alternative” would be Radicava which is far more expensive.

Thanks for the reply - I was a bit surprised since it's not like a statin -where there could suggest an alternative statin.

I am assuming he's already on the generic version (riluzole) and you are using mail order if your plan charges less for 90-day supplies? If the increase is because it's no longer a "preferred generic," that is a plan-wide change and an LMN is unlikely to do anything. But depending on what the copay is destined to become, it may pay you to shop cash prices, including GoodRx, or switch to mail order.

But yes, as Karen says, it's a form letter and has nothing to do with riluzole per se.

Rilutek is the brand name and Riluzole is the the generic.

In addition to GoodRX, check out WebMDRx. They were $40 less than GoodRx for my zip code for 180 50mg tablets.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back