Diagnosis
03/2015
Country
US
State
NC
City
Eden
Hello I am new to this please bear with me. First of all my prayers go out to all those directly and indirectly affected by ALS. Thank you all for your support and encouragement on this site. I had never heard of ALS until my brother was diagnosed a few months ago. We are seeking any support anyone can offer. He has no income and the disease is progressing fairly quickly. Can someone please supply information that would be helpful, such as where to apply for financial and other support. He will be traveling next week out of state to a hospital in Maryland for a second opinion and needs a place to stay overnight for the hospital visit. It is a 9 hour drive from where he lives. Is anyone aware of resources available to assist him with this? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Ruby

Specifically for the hospital visit he could check with the hospital. Most have at least a list of nearby hotels that give a discount for medical visits. Sometimes there are places specifically for those making visits for medical care that are free or very subsidized though those are often disease specific and always heavily in demand. Contact the alsa and mda branches at home and where you are going. Try alsguardian angels and the brigance brigade. The last is based in Maryland and concentrates their resources on that area only

Ruby,

I don't know the specifics of your brother's history (age, past work experience, etc.) however if he has a definitive diagnosis, make sure he applies for all government aid as soon as possible as there can be a waiting period. He should apply for SSDI and SSI as well as Medicaid for the state of Virginia. I understand traveling for the second opinion, however Duke has a very good ALS Clinic, located in Raleigh NC. When he has his first ALS Clinic visit he will have access to a Social Worker and they can help with filing the appropriate paperwork for financial assistance.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this but know that you and your brother are not alone. The organizations Nikki mentioned can help as well. Reach out to as many as possible. Also, if you or your brother subscribe to social media such as facebook, there is a site called gofundme.com where you can set up a site to collect funds for your brother's needs.

Wishing you the best.

Vince

also alsa & mda ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back