Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like you need transfer help at a minimum. I am glad you were able to have a few spousal moments together. They really help��

Pete,

You're totally a man and decent human being. The damn disease is a lard pallet, not you. I'm glad you were able to offer your wife some support. Hard times suck.

Pete, Your family has always been your first concern. I've been on this forum over two years and that has not changed. The man shines brightly through this horrible disease.

Hi Pete,

Sorry to hear about the rough Clinic, it's been years since I've left a clinic feeling better than when I arrived. I too received a six month "get prepared" statement from a neurologist, that was about 2 1/2 years ago, And while I am currently on a trilogy 24/7, stay strong, none of us knows when our time will come.

Tom

Pete, those touches mean so much!

I second Lkaibel's comment. You ARE a husband and a man Pete, and, having read many of your posts, I think you are a fine, kind gentleman who loves and values his family very much. I am glad you got to spend that precious moment with your wife.

If you go on hospice, you can go off it - then back on - off it. It is not a once and done decision. As others have stated, it is best to (forgive this comment) but get what you can from insurance in regards to DME beforehand.

I do not know what your finances are or what you are able to afford, but we put a deposit on a used Dodge Grand Caravan last month; it has been sent out for wheelchair accessible conversion. It only has 28,000 miles on it and a reasonable price. The company is in Reading, PA. I can send you their web address if you would like. We are not paying cash for it, but rather taking out a 3-4 yr. used vehicle loan. Approx. 1/2 of the cost is tax deductible (the cost of the ramp and wheelchair tie-downs/restraints are deductible) - but that cost alone is about $12K.

I have been in touch with Wendy B. from the Phila. chapter of the ALSA several times. She told me we could use the 24 hrs (in a year) respite program hours and then transition into the Abrams program. She told me it was "needs based" and not income based. You may want to consider this until you have gotten all of the DME medical equipment you need. But, as I said, hospice is not an irreversable decision.

I wish you well and hope you get some answers and resolutions to your current concerns. BIG HUG!!

I also financed my new Sienna @ 0% interest. I paid cash for the conversion and plan on using the deduction to offset a withdrawal from my IRA.

Hi Pete, I am sure that gesture meant the world to your wife. My PALS couldn't hug me anymore but occasionally he would reach out his hand for me to hold. It is the memory of such gestures that gives me now the strength to continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back