12/2015
Country
US
State
TX
City
Plano
hello,

This came up during our support group meeting last week - using a baby monitor to allow my care giver (my wife) to go outside and do some gardening or light yard work.

A Google search for monitors for disabled people seemed to recommend the VTech DM221-2 Safe & Sound Digital Audio Baby Monitor. This was recommended because it allows two way communication and has a range of 1000'.

Has anyone done this ? Any recommendations on specific brands and models?

Note that I am still able to speak, albeit imperfectly, and if that fails then I can use the eye gazing PC to speak for me into the monitor on my end.

Thanks,

Mark.

I haven't used one but I have started thinking of getting something similar. My PALS cannot speak so I was thinking of getting a Nest webcam so that I can monitor him remotely with my phone.

I recently added a page about call systems to my website. I hate to see people spending money on a call system that won't work long term. For that reason, I only listed systems that can be used by people who can no longer push a regular call button and need to have a capability switch (large, soft press button) added to their call system. It lists only systems that do not require speaking. They simply alert the caregiver with an alarm sound.
ALS From Both Sides: Call Systems

We have been using the Summer Infant 28650 InView 5" Digital Color Baby Monitor. Range is good. I can't speak much, but I can make vocalize some sound. The camera works well in low light. Range is great, don't know if it is 1000 feet.

DianeH - Thanks for the ideas on your page. I have visited your site numerous times and have adopted several of your ideas. We currently do have a wireless doorbell system that we use inside the house. With the eye gaze PC I think a baby monitor system should work for some time yet, fingers crossed. Thanks again for your website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back