Diagnosis
08/2010
Country
US
State
WA
City
Lake Stevens
What is a good ROM excercise i can do for my weak hand that is starting to get the claw thing with fingers going on and stifness as well? It will be a while yet before I see a PT.

Thanks,

My husband has the same problem and we went to physical therapy to get help.
They gave us four sets of exercises for the hands and arms. The one for the hands and fingers is you stretch your fingers backwards and hold that position and then repeat it around 10 times. We do this exercise everyday and he feels it has helped. Hope this helps. Bev

Rox my husband has an atrophied right hand from CIDP. These are some exercises he does.
Wrist exercises:

Starting position: Sit down. Bend your right elbow and rest your forearm on a flat surface, like a table. Make sure your wrist hangs loosely over the side of the table.

* Wrist bends. Bend your hand back toward your wrist so that your fingers point toward the ceiling. Bend your hand down so that your fingers point toward the floor.

* Wrist rotation. Rock your hand back and forth sideways. Gently rotate (turn) your hand in circles.

Repeat the above exercises with your left arm.
Hand and Finger exercises:

Starting position: Sit or stand. Place your hand out in front of you.

* Finger bends. Make a tight fist. Then open and relax your hand.

* Finger spreads. Open your hand and stretch the fingers as far apart as possible. Bring your fingers together again.

* Finger-to-thumb touches. One at a time, touch each fingertip to pad of the thumb.

* Thumb-to-palm. Move your thumb and rest it across your palm. Move it out to the side again.

Repeat the above exercises with your left hand and fingers.

Good luck. You can find variations of the above on the internet.
Laurel

We've got a PT here right now. He agrees with all of the above mentioned, plus do range of motion on the shoulders before they have problems.

Thanks I will try all of those. Also, my neck hurts most days an despecially the last three days. So I am trying ROM with that too.

Take a paper towel, lay it flat on a table, and try to gather it up into a ball. Then stretch it back out straight again.

Thanks Sadiemae, I think you told me that before and I forgot so thanks for posting again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back