Diagnosis
03/2015
Country
US
State
mi
City
Novi
I need a new cushion for my PWC, and I thought I'd push for what I understand is the best. For those of you have been down this road, what does it take for Medicare to buy one? What medical justification worked?

Thanks,

Deb

It has been awhile, but I'm pretty sure my pwc provider did most of the work getting the roho approved, and i don't recall it being a hard battle. I would definitely recommend a roho, five years in the chair now and no skin issues. Not much help I guess.
Tom

A little Internet search showed that if your wheelchair meets the criteria for Medicare coverage or was purchased for you by Medicare, and you have ALS, and you are having difficulty in shifting your weight, you have all you need. If the wheelchair is not of a type that Medicare would have covered, there may be a denial. Basically the pwc has to have a seat cushion that can be removed so that a ROHO or other adjustable cushion (air or fluid filled and therefore pressure adjustable) can be placed directly on the seat pan of the chair. Your wheelchair provider should be able to file and get you a cushion. Websites such as SpinLife will get your cushion for you quickly and help with the claim paperwork, but you have to pay upfront and wait for reimbursement.

Thanks for your help! I just had a new ROHO delivered by the wheelchair clinic this week. Such an improvement!

Deb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back