Diagnosis
04/2015
Country
US
State
WV
City
Sandyville
I wasn't sure if I should post this under ALS research or where but I don't think it qualifies as "research". If there is anyone out there who has done any research on Robert Morse's fruit diet and herbal supplements as well as his claims to be able to successfully treat all forms of neurological conditions including ALS, please share with me. My son is convinced that this guy is legit and I just can't afford to try this regimen without some sort of proof that others have benefited from it. He tells me it is not in the mainstream because it does not align with traditional medicine. It would significantly decrease my caloric intake and as we all know this is the one thing we are told NOT TO DO. He keeps telling me that traditional medicine has nothing to offer us and that I need to do something to help myself but I can't seem to get him to understand that there is simply too high of a risk to do this and that it might actually cost me 6 months or a year of my life! I'm just not sure how to deal with this so any insight you guys can give would be appreciated. God, I so hate this disease.

Vince

I cannot address this diet specifically but ...

Regardless of being 'mainstream' or otherwise if these fad diets (eg. Diana Protocol) and miracle supplements actually worked we PALS would be broadcasting the information loudly and widely.

Ask for references.

Definitely not research! This guy's so called degrees are from a corresondence diploma mill no longer in operation. I remember trying to listen to his YouTube video and giving up. It was rambling garbage and I just do not have time for it. What hard science there is for ALS diets indicates maintaining weight and a high calorie high carb diet may be beneficial. Have him read Anne Marie Wills MD of Mass General. She has done work in this area. It is not flashy and she does not promise miracles so she may not appeal

It is really hard when your loved ones get sucked into the theories of these quacks but you are right if you lose weight you are jeopardizing your health

Thank you Nikki. Probably going to drive a wedge between me and my son but I've got to do what I believe is best. Sometimes I wish there were an ALS sanatorium that I could go to so my family wouldn't be dealing with this crap.

GregK,

Exactly what I told my son. PALS are literally at the end of our rope with this disease. If there were "anyone" who was actually helped by this someone would be shouting it from the rooftops. I just hate that it is my son who has gotten sucked into this false hope. If it were a friend or acquaintance it would be easier to tell them to get their head examined. With him, he just thinks I giving up and giving in to those who have nothing to offer us.

Thanks for your input.

ALS is most likely a collection of diseases caused by different combinations of genetic and environmental triggers.
I think even cancer is simpler to understand and they now know there are hundreds of different types of that, and depending what they are, they respond to different meds.
These cure for everything snake oil salesmen have been around since the cavemen, and their "cures" are just as effective now as then.
I would give anything to find something that helps, but reality says any progress will not be in time for us. Maybe in 10 years they might have something, but not now.

>I would give anything to find something that helps, but reality says any progress will not be in time for us. Maybe in 10 years they might have something, but not now.

noot now :-(

if these fad diets (eg. Diana Protocol) and miracle supplements actually worked we PALS would be broadcasting the information loudly and widely.

Agreed! It would be spreading like wildfire.

Vince,
Obviously, you're doing the right thing by doing right by yourself. As the disease progresses, your son will come to realize from the changes in your physique what a mistake losing weight would be, though he may never say it. You might mention that high-fat diets are being studied by leading ALS scientists, and that we've quite a lot of evidence that metabolism speeds up and makes additional energy demands in ALS, but sounds like your son is currently in the "Establishment vs. truth" mindset. It is hard to see/hear. I'd never heard of Mr. Morse, but when I saw "herbal health club" and "membership" in the same sentence, I was gone.

The only thing I would say to your son, besides that you will have to go your own way on this, is that you fully support his right to make his own choices as well, however much you might disagree with them.

Vince, I sympathize with you. My wife has tried to direct me to all different "cures". They do it because they love us and are struggling with the terminal nature of our disease. I love her and try and do what she asks just to give her some "control" over the disease. We all do what we can and try and keep moving forward. I sympathize with our loved ones who struggle and hope that some how they can understand that their love and just being there means more to us then any so called "cure".

hey vince, i had a sister i had to ask to back up some and give me space to accept this nightmare. she did and stopped sending me every snake oil remedy on google. they love us and mean well and have to learn acceptance also. this is a process not an event,living one day at time. all the best! 1love chally

If you are taking any supplements you could start sending him info on them. Show you are proactive. There are little studies on tudca and acetyl l carnitine. There is some stuff on l serine that might appeal to him. But like Laurie said the anti med establishment mindset is tough

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I so appreciate your thoughts on this. This is even harder because my son left Denver and has moved back home with my wife and I to "help dad get better".

vince

Vince, what a toughie. So nice your son is home with you, even if his reasons are a little shortsighted.
Even though he's an adult, you may have to take the hard line with him and tell him straight. Very hard to do, because of the worry of his reaction I know...you have so much going on this stress is detrimental to your health.
Good luck with decisions...
God bless, Janelle x

Vince, bring your son here and let him read this thread.

To Vince's son:
ALS IS TERMINAL.
There are lots of really important things you can do.
Start by going to the stickies and read them carefully.

Let Vince have what control he can of his own life now - don't try to rip away his control because you want to feel better. I really understand feeling this way as I lost my own husband to this disease and had to deal with these very things.

FAD DIETS don't work, see all the other posts on this thread that explain why.

LOVE YOUR DAD - in the end that is what life is all about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back