Status
Not open for further replies.

ladave

Distinguished member
In the weeks following my preliminary diagnosis back in February, I was thinking about some of the things I wanted to do but hadn't yet done. One of those things was to take a cross-country train trip. I was scheduled to attend a conference the first week in May in New Orleans, and decided to plan the trip to coincide with the conference.

And here we are! I fly to New Orleans tomorrow (Sunday). On Wednesday, a buddy of mine and I will depart New Orleans by train. We will go via Chicago and the northern US states back to Northern California, arriving Sacramento on Saturday, from where I will fly back to Los Angeles.

When first planning this trip I had all sorts of mental images about how my condition would have deteriorated by this time. Al was one of those that reassured me that the fasciculations which had begun in my legs did not mean I was just about to lose all of my leg function (thanks Al!) Well, the time is here and my disease has progressed only marginally. I'm still strong enough that I should be able to enjoy the trip thoroughly.

I've also planned an Alaskan cruise for August, leaving from Vancouver BC August 12. Another thing I've wanted to do for a long time. Hopefully I'll still be strong then as well.

So all of you take care for the next week. I'll check back in next Sunday and let you know how it went!

... don't forget to take pictures!
T.

Hi Dave,
Good for you! After I found out I had ALS, my husband and I took the train across Canada. It was wonderful. I would recommend it to anyone. You will have a great time.
Hugs and prayers, Leah

Ok Dave if you can do all that you can go skydiving. That was one of the things on my list and I did it. Saw the Grand Canyon too last June. My Doc (family) when I was diagnosed told me to make a list of the things that I wanted to do and hadn't got around to doing because of work, schedules etc. I'm sure everyone here knows what I am talking about. You just never seem to get the time untill someone says. Your time might be short. Better get it done. Sounds like a great trip. Wish I was with you. Have a ball.

I'm back!

The trip was terrific. We went from New Orleans to Chicago, where we spent half a day being shown the sights by my cousin's husband (cousin-in-law?) Glen. Al, you'd like Glen, he's a Chicago firefighter:) We then boarded the train for Emeryville, in the SF Bay Area (though I got off at Sacramento and flew home). Four days, three nights in all. Highlights of the trip were climbing the Rockies in Colorado and the Sierras in Nevada and California.

You really don't get a feeling of how immense the North American continent is by flying overhead as I've done so much. The train went through areas vast and virtually uninhabited. Then you come upon a little town and wonder, how did these people wind up living out here so far from everyone else? What's it like to live there?

Travelling by train forces you to slow down the rhythm of your life. There is no "wifi" connection so you cannot spend all day on the computer. No television either. The service provided by the Amtrak employees was unfailingly polite and superb.

My travel-mate took numerous photos and promised to send them to me. I'll try to post some if I can figure out how:)

If you can't figure out how just send David a private message with the link to where the pics are and he'll do it. He can do most anything if he tries. Smart like whip that boy.
Just as a sidebar here could you contact your cousin's husband and ask him if he knows of any Chicago firefighters with ALS. A big dept like that they must have some and I'm trying to find more so that we can get it classed as a job related illness due to toxic exposure over time. Thanks. Looking forward to the pics.

Hey Dave--

Welcome home! Ah-ha--another train lover! Last spring, my family and I took the train from DC, through Chicago, to Sacramento, then home from LA through AZ and NM, back to Chicago and DC. I am so glad you got to do that northern run throught the Rockies and across Nevada and Utah--it really was spectacular! Your enthusiasm about the trip just oozes from the screen! We too were struck by the vastness of the country, the emptyness, the colors, the everchanging weather (snow in late April!), and the friendliness of people everywhere.

My husband and I had a running joke the entire trip--we'd sit and look out the window, and if one of us saw a nice spot of land, we'd ask the other, "so, does that look like a good place to retire?"

Liz

Dave:

Have fun on your Alaskan cruise!

I've taken the cruise twice, once on Princess, once on Celebrity.

You'll have a blast....

I am more than happy to try & post those pics for you here, if you will just email them to me, I will have them hosted at photobucket & post them here for you, should you need me to

[email protected]

glad you got to do this!

Traveling now.

Rick and I were excited to read about Dave's traveling, as we are contemplating taking a trip by this spring or summer. I am able to soon go partime on my job, and we are planning to go out west to visit each of our brothers. Mine lives in Montana and his lives in Arizona. We would like to fly out to one, rent a car and drive to the other, and come home from there. We can see the Grand Canyon while in Arizona. We can see Yellowstone National and Glacier parks in Montana. We have decided that this diagnosis of ALS stinks.... and the leg injury... but as soon as he has a cast on that is mobile.... or even if it isn't and I can handle a wheelchair.... off we will go. I have never flown. I will be hesitant, but will feel safe as long as MY Sweetie is with me. We want to do some special things before we cannot go. So happy for you, Dave and God Bless you! marjorie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back