Diagnosis
10/2019
Country
US
State
NC
City
Bessemer City
I started taking Riluzole in October 2019, and since then I have lost about ten pounds and my blood pressure has lowered. I am having a lot of light-headedness when I rise from a seated or reclining position. Is this from the Riluzole?

I AM NEITHER A DOCTOR NOR PHARMACIST - THE FOLLOWING, FOR INFORMATION ONLY, NOT SELF-DIAGNOSIS. IT'S FROM:
Web MD: Drugs & Medications
additional side effects: Mayo Clinic: Riluzole (Oral Route) Side Effects - Mayo Clinic
CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR - SOME SYMPTOMS MAY INDICATE DRUG INTERACTIONS OR OTHER DISORDERS. B.

Side Effects
Dizziness, lightheadedness, drowsiness, tiredness, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, stomach pain, or numbness/tingling around the mouth may occur. If any of these effects last or get worse, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly.

Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.

Tell your doctor right away if you have any serious side effects, such as: signs of infection (such as sore throat that doesn't go away, fever, chills, cough).

Get medical help right away if you have any very serious side effects, such as: nausea/vomiting that doesn't stop, yellowing eyes/skin, severe stomach/abdominal pain, dark urine.

A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, get medical help right away if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, such as: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.

This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.

have you had your blood pressure taken to see what it is when you change position?

weight loss can lower blood pressure. Are you on any blood pressure/ heart medicines? They may need adjustment.

why did you lose weight? Are you having swallow issues

i do not believe riluzole affects blood pressure. I do get dizzy from it but it is not an all day thing. I can predict it - it starts 30 minutes after I take it and it lasts an hour. It doesn’t matter if I stand or lie still. I do the latter because I do not want to risk a fall

Weight loss is a frequent side effect of ALS. Not saying that’s what is happening for you but maybe it is.

I had the numbness and tingling around my mouth at first. That is all I really noticed. I went in the hospital for a week for a battery of tests to rule out anything else...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back