Riluzole pill -- empty stomach -- protein shake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SyncOrSwym

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
09/2016
Country
US
State
WA
City
Shelton
Silly question here: As I understand it, I'm supposed to take this pill when I have an empty stomach for at least two hours and to not eat afterward for at least an hour. OK, but does empty stomach refer to just solid food? Or does a protein shake also count?

I'm trying to have a daily shake to increase my protein intake, but it takes me forever to finish it. So I'm not sure whether to delay my subsequent evening pill for two hours after finishing the shake, or just two hours after finishing any solid food.

Thanks,
Ed

The issue with riluzole is not the consistency but fat in food. Fat makes riluzole ineffective. Protein or carbohydrate would be ok but if you use non skim milk in the shake for example it would be an issue. My clinic would prefer a change in timing in this scenario as long you separate the doses a minimum of 8 hours though they like it to be close to 12

Taking Riluzole jacked my eating schedule.
Now I take one at bedtime and the second when I get up ~10 hrs later

Steve would wake up for the restroom and go back to bed. He took it at this morning pit stop. I would give it to him in the evening.

I find 11am/11pm works best for me. I have breakfast before 9 and lunch around noon. I don't eat after 9pm, all good.
Vincent

I am the same as GregK.
Al

Thanks everyone. Still not totally sure whether shake counts as solid food, but sounds like people are leaning in that direction.

Ed

It does not matter whether it is solid or not. If it contains fat which it probably does then you need to adhere to the guidelines for it to work correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back